• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do modern glossy paper bother anyone else?
1 1

44 posts in this topic

I know covers have always been glossy but not that glossy.  Never got the GLARE from lookin at SA covers.  I could SEE the damn thing.

I've never really been that bothered by modern glossy paper stock.  Occasionally you'd encounter a new indie using glossy paper with a fairly noxious, powerful, synthetic odour which would be a bit too distracting for me.  Marvel and DC's paper seemed to be flimsy and prone to crunching, so finding a really nice high grade copy at the LCS could be problematic, at least when I was buying, up until 2010.   I like the wider colour spectrum used in moderns, but the digital enhancements, to colour and effects, are highly variable in their ability to improve or detract, of course. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

16 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

WW is looking good on this cover ...(spaghetti cover)

Wonder Woman #78

MY EYES ARE UP HERE!

why is Flash actin all surprised and ****?  He sees sniper, he could disarm and build a house in time it take for his jaw to drop.  Remember to Flash, everyone is basically as still as a statue.  In his time it takes someone abt a year to raise their arm 6 inches.

This is like someone getting surprised because a turtle rushed up on em-only way worse.

4 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Old timers like us, everything was better back then. The paper was better, the art was better, the stories were better, even the ads were better. 

:preach:

any young timers think current spider man stories for instance atre better than the first 100 issues, are just confused.

It's odd, but the modern paper does have that glare / reflection that can make it difficult to read depending on your lighting.

I do not experience the same thing when reading a 1980's Marvel graphic novel which uses very high quality paper (shrug)

17 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

It's odd, but the modern paper does have that glare / reflection that can make it difficult to read depending on your lighting.

I do not experience the same thing when reading a 1980's Marvel graphic novel which uses very high quality paper (shrug)

They added something to the pulp and finish that makes it superduper glossy.  I find myself continually adjusting lamp, moving book, head, anything so I can SEE.  It should not be like this!!!  They are selling books then impeding the ability to read the damn things.
Do Better.

8 minutes ago, kav said:

They added something to the pulp and finish that makes it superduper glossy.  I find myself continually adjusting lamp, moving book, head, anything so I can SEE.  It should not be like this!!!  They are selling books then impeding the ability to read the damn things.
Do Better.

That is one of the contributing factors to why I don't buy and read many modern comics.

2 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

That is one of the contributing factors to why I don't buy and read many modern comics.

It really is.  It's just too much trouble.