• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What am I Looking at?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Well to end any mysterious intrigue. Here's the book.

Screenshot_20200307-175543.thumb.png.edf29c49d3c4e1ec4a7e5d19e3bcc73e.png

Book went for $475 (as you can see).

I'd be pretty upset to get this book with a split spine at that price. 

It was sitting around $200 most of the week and then 20 minutes before it closed  the feeding frenzy started.(as expected)

If it was the stated grade I would have been happy to pay $350 for it. Made sure to look closely before bidding and  I'm glad I did.

Looks like a couple bidders convinced themselves the grade was higher than it is and drove it up. 

These boards are the only place to safely buy raw books.

37 minutes ago, RadDude said:

You need to get out more because that's a ridiculous thought.

ROFL.... point well taken ..... What I should have said was that this is the only safe place online  to buy raw form other individuals. I do frequent multiple LCS.

3 minutes ago, RadDude said:

Strike two!

Other than my local comic shops or here I'm at a loss :nyah:. There are some legit online stores attached to actual shops that I go to as well.(Midtown, newkadia, cloud9).

Looks like I'm gonna strike out. (:

10 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Was about to bid in this book but saw this pic. Am I hallucinating it is that a split at the bottom of the spine?

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761Screenshot_20200307-165641.thumb.png.b9d772e5ce6e0e3fc1238f795e7922bb.png

It's actually a double spit, the front cover seam and the back cover seam of this squarebound book. What you're seeing here is a missing bottom section of the sidewall , at the corner, and the sidewall is lifted up where the horizontal rift occurred on the vertical sidewall. If you turn this book to the side, viewing the spine edge on, the inside bundles of pages would be visible from the point of where that piece is lifted up, down to the corner. .

Edited by James J Johnson

1 minute ago, The Lions Den said:

Those square bound early Surfers are notorious for spine splits. Be careful or you could end up like this:  :flamed:

Very good to know, I think I will just avoid these books raw and buy it slabbed at some point soon.

Is it all Marvel books around '68 or just specific titles?

3 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Those square bound early Surfers are notorious for spine splits. Be careful or you could end up like this:  :flamed:

Well, if it's deemed to be part of the poor production or printing process, then I thought CGC is not supposed to factor it into account like a normal spine split due to poor storage/mishandling, similar to how they do not take the full impact of the fugly Marvel chipping into account on the early SA Marvel books?  hm  (shrug)

5 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

And an incentive to add a bead of paper glue to seal splits, since the covers are held on with glue anyway. But that will land the book in a purple label as CGC is very adept at spotting extraneous glue, atypical to production.

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if it's deemed to be part of the poor production or printing process, then I thought CGC is not supposed to factor it into account like a normal spine split due to poor storage/mishandling, similar to how they do not take the full impact of the fugly Marvel chipping into account on the early SA Marvel books?  hm  (shrug)

I think that's an interesting observation...

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I think that's an interesting observation...

It is interesting, but based on seeing many squarebounds that survived in fairly pristine condition, in fact, one entire collection, right out of the closet, with heavy emphasis on being compromised of most DC and Marvel squarebounds from the Silver age, I can't say that seeing missing spine wall corner chips is more or even equal to such incidence of it occurring from wear.

I've seen many otherwise pristine non-squarebound books; books with very little in the way of wear other than marvel chips and pre-chips, obviously production issues, but I can't say I've seen spine wall corner chips on pristine squarebounds.

Based on these observations over time, my feeling is that the side wall corner chipping is more a byproduct of handling and wear than incurred in production.

Edited by James J Johnson