• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,315 posts in this topic

My first Atlas. The gloss on this book is outstanding.

WC_3_front161_zpsee17a60a.jpg

Great looking book, scooter - I really like the artist's name on the smoking MG barrel. :applause:

Nice copy, and possibly Maneely's best war cover. Excellent start to an Atlas collection.

From the pile came Man Comics # 28, last issue of the run, dated September 1953, the final issue of the try-out of Bob Brant and the Trouble-shooters, a kid group à la Crimebuster and Little Wise-Guys. Yup, feels more like a Gleason comics than an Atlas book. Still, I've found these 3 issues tough to find and this is the only one I have so far.

Aside from the interesting fact that the middle story is about Lance Brant, Bob's older brother who is a legitimate trouble-shooter working for the government; that it runs in the family since their dad works the U.N. security; or that the final story has a recurring villain from issue # 26, the main attraction is another early mutant appearance in the Atlas / Marvel universe since the villain in this last story is a bug-related mutant who happens to be a high-school student hm This is well-documented elsewhere but I liked reading it first hand.

After the cover, I showcase the relevant mutant panels and his powers in action in the final image. (again, sequence of panels has been reconstituted to eliminate fillers) -

ManComics28_zps74a4144d.jpg

ManComics28-Mutant_zpsc0d78d08.jpg

[N.B.: there is a running joke that "feathers", the kid in the rightmost panel only says "ugh" except in one panel per story in which he explains everything in a complex and concise manner]

ManComics28-Bugged_zpsb990ee4a.jpg

From the pile came Man Comics # 28, last issue of the run, dated September 1953, the final issue of the try-out of Bob Brant and the Trouble-shooters, a kid group à la Crimebuster and Little Wise-Guys. Yup, feels more like a Gleason comics than an Atlas book. Still, I've found these 3 issues tough to find and this is the only one I have so far.

Aside from the interesting fact that the middle story is about Lance Brant, Bob's older brother who is a legitimate trouble-shooter working for the government; that it runs in the family since their dad works the U.N. security; or that the final story has a recurring villain from issue # 26, the main attraction is another early mutant appearance in the Atlas / Marvel universe since the villain in this last story is a bug-related mutant who happens to be a high-school student hm This is well-documented elsewhere but I liked reading it first hand.

After the cover, I showcase the relevant mutant panels and his powers in action in the final image. (again, sequence of panels has been reconstituted to eliminate fillers) -

ManComics28_zps74a4144d.jpg

ManComics28-Mutant_zpsc0d78d08.jpg

[N.B.: there is a running joke that "feathers", the kid in the rightmost panel only says "ugh" except in one panel per story in which he explains everything in a complex and concise manner]

ManComics28-Bugged_zpsb990ee4a.jpg

Awesome, thanks for posting this!

Johnny

Excellent jimbo - that War Adventures 12 is a classic cover.

I haven't been keeping tabs on my raw Atlas collection - only a small handful of books, but I enjoy them a lot:

84d22e86-6d4b-477e-8eff-ae3bec14b919_zps626e9987.jpg

I had heard the Combat Casey's are particularly violent..... never read one, however. I love Atlas books, but good PQ is a bear on them. That Spellbound in your group is particularly cool. Those Atlas Sub-mariners are some of my favorite comics ever made. With nearly 5000 different issues published, I have to pick and choose with Atlas..... I find www.atlastales.com to be invaluable when choosing purchases. I keep mine in mylars to read so a great cover with several favorite artists inside is my criteria. I recently come to fully appreciate the range of quality in the war titles.... many artists I'd never heard of are represented and many are quite polished. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u