• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,319 posts in this topic

I used to hit up the "Passaic Book Store" at least 3 times a year. When I still lived in Lyndhurst before I was old enough to drive, I would take the bus into Passaic and would load up on mostly BA DC and Marvel stuff with the occasional mix of Famous Monsters and Castle of Frankenstein! I hit some NY shops back in the day but very infrequently. I was never there enough to establish a good customer relationship with any shop owner.

I used to hit up the "Passaic Book Store" at least 3 times a year. When I still lived in Lyndhurst before I was old enough to drive, I would take the bus into Passaic and would load up on mostly BA DC and Marvel stuff with the occasional mix of Famous Monsters and Castle of Frankenstein! I hit some NY shops back in the day but very infrequently. I was never there enough to establish a good customer relationship with any shop owner.

I always wondered what it would have been like to live near those places.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

:cloud9: Loved that store. Picked up a ton of stuff in that place. Remember the clothes lines draped across the ceiling with comics hanging from them? Wish there were still stores like that around. :cry:

:cloud9: Loved that store. Picked up a ton of stuff in that place. Remember the clothes lines draped across the ceiling with comics hanging from them? Wish there were still stores like that around. :cry:

Yes I do, and they had even more books in the basement that had that old trap door. I also recall they had an adult section towards the back with makeshift wooden saloon doors separating it from the comics and mags, do you remember that?

Yes I do, and they had even more books in the basement that had that old trap door. I also recall they had an adult section towards the back with makeshift wooden saloon doors separating it from the comics and mags, do you remember that?

Sure do. Great store. But it seemed like most of the stock was lower grade stuff. Used to leave there with huge piles of stuff. :cloud9:

Here's a cover I always liked that isn't considered one of the classics..... but it does have that zany Atlas atmosphere..... GOD BLESS.....

101_2718.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

More random Atlas insides..... GOD BLESS...

101_2736.jpg

101_2733.jpg

101_2738.jpg

101_2739.jpg

101_2740.jpg

101_2743.jpg

101_2745.jpg

A rare thing to see the interior art match the cover in that Spellbound 2 story! The End splash is totally AWSOME with those bloody heads on the hooks! What book is that from? Also love the Depreta witches! :applause:

The End is also from Spellound 2.....a pretty cool book. The comic editors desk has all kind of neat stuff on it in the Everett story. One artist who doesn't get mentioned as much, who I love, is Chuck Winter.... he did The Miracle and I'm pretty sure the Terrile Torture.... though it';s just my guess on the last one. GOD BLESS....

The End is also from Spellound 2.....a pretty cool book. The comic editors desk has all kind of neat stuff on it in the Everett story. One artist who doesn't get mentioned as much, who I love, is Chuck Winter.... he did The Miracle and I'm pretty sure the Terrile Torture.... though it';s just my guess on the last one. GOD BLESS....

+1 on C.A. "Chuck" Winter. He had a cartoony yet detailed style that gave a real flair to his Atlas stories!

..... he really is one of my favorites..... wish he'd been more prolific.... and I don't think I ever saw a bad job by him. Atlas really did have a stable of very stylized yet diversified artists. You can tell they had a lot of fun doing those yarns.... GOD BLESS.....

..... he really is one of my favorites..... wish he'd been more prolific.... and I don't think I ever saw a bad job by him. Atlas really did have a stable of very stylized yet diversified artists. You can tell they had a lot of fun doing those yarns.... GOD BLESS.....

That's what made 'em second only to E.C.

Recent pick-up where I rediscovered a couple of my favorite Atlas stories I first read as a kid in the BA reprinted material from the 70's.

UncannyTales3_zps1e78c582.jpg

The first story titled "The Tin Cup" is about a scam artist who poses as a cripple to steal donations then becomes a cripple for real.

But my favorite (and the one that really stuck in my memory) was this 3 page gem called CRAZY by Stan Lee and Jerry Robinson. Enjoy...

UncannyTales3Crazy1_zps467fc7b6.jpeg

UncannyTales3Crazy2_zps0656b0be.jpeg

UncannyTales3Crazy3_zps7efb8ec4.jpeg

Thanks Johnny, This issue contains some cool Sci-fi stories as well.

This story is credited to Bill Savage, who I must confess am not too familiar with at this point but I'm a fan now!

JIUW26Floats_zps9e3f661a.jpeg

JIUW26Floats2_zps216fb053.jpegJIUW26Floats3_zps2ed42e15.jpeg