• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All Marvel Ongoing Series of the Bronze Age/1970s?

8 posts in this topic

I'm trying to find a complete list of all Marvel first issues in order, but can't find anything. Since there were no miniseries until Contest of Champions, all #1 issues were, by default, ongoing series. It's easy enough to remember things like Ghost Rider and Luke Cage Hero for Hire, but then there are the licensed comics, and the horror titles, and it becomes more confusing. Most #1s were keys so I just wanted a sense of what I'm looking for. Link anywhere?

You can do an advanced search at GCD (grand comics database).

You can also download to .csv file and wrangle however you want.

include in advanced search query

Search For: Covers

Issue Fields/Issues: 1

Start Date: 1970-01-01

End Date: 1980-01-01

Order By: Date FIrst, Series Name Second

Publisher: Marvel

Publisher Field: United States Issues: It should return something like this

covers.thumb.jpg.6c125dda64ce276a77de7cb9ebeb1601.jpg

Default would sort by name

covers.jpg

Edited by bronze_rules

12 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

You can do an advanced search at GCD (grand comics database).

You can also download to .csv file and wrangle however you want.

include in advanced search query

Search For: Covers

Issue Fields/Issues: 1

Start Date: 1970-01-01

End Date: 1980-01-01

Order By: Date FIrst, Series Name Second

Publisher: Marvel

Publisher Field: United States Issues: It should return something like this

Default would sort by name

This was great, but is there any way to cut out the funny animal comics and redundant annuals? I still have to go page by page to discern which are relevant, which is why I hoped for a comprehensive list that eliminated that.

14 hours ago, brentdevil said:

I'm trying to find a complete list of all Marvel first issues in order, but can't find anything....

51 minutes ago, brentdevil said:

This was great, but is there any way to cut out the funny animal comics and redundant annuals? I still have to go page by page to discern which are relevant, which is why I hoped for a comprehensive list that eliminated that.

There was only about 5 pages of returns. You can further filter with Genre: Superheroes, for example.

This returns only 2 pages and 86 titles for all of the 70s decade. I think the first was exactly what you originally asked for.  What exactly is your relevant criteria? Keys? There might be other ways to approach it, but this is a very simple and accurate method with little work. Keep in mind you'll lose other keys like Conan (Sword and Sorcery), and they do not allow you to logicially index by OR. You'd have to do each Genre you want, separately. If you knew how to wrangle data, there are other ways, as they provide data files, but a bit more complicated.

e.g. Genre/Superheroes

hero.thumb.jpg.28bb4fb7d4dd5821110febffe32e6f18.jpg

Edited by bronze_rules

6 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

There was only about 5 pages of returns. You can further filter with Genre: Superheroes, for example.

This returns only 2 pages and 86 titles for all of the 70s decade. I think the first was exactly what you originally asked for.  What exactly is your relevant criteria? Keys? There might be other ways to approach it, but this is a very simple and accurate method with little work. Keep in mind you'll lose other keys like Conan (Sword and Sorcery), and they do not allow you to logicially index by OR. You'd have to do each Genre you want, separately. If you knew how to wrangle data, there are other ways, as they provide data files, but a bit more complicated.

e.g. Genre/Superheroes

Yeah, mainly just keys, which includes Conan, Star Wars, etc. I did go through the list but it's hard to ascertain whether things like Night Nurse, The Cat, Godzilla and Omega are "keys" worth having, even after consulting a price guide, or just nonsense. In the same way, I suppose, if somebody wanted to know about great television series of the '00s, they'd have a hard time scrawling through an entire list by genres to know which were worthwhile to binge or not.

6 hours ago, brentdevil said:

Keys is a relative term. I would think Night Nurse is kind of a key, and it's pretty sought after and valuable by collectors... but, maybe you could get a copy of overstreet and just make notes on the returns you get from the search. I'm sure there are plenty of posters that can chime in on what is considered a key or not.