• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CBM article about the CGC holder

27 posts in this topic

Well, I am glad to see PGX move to using Barex, as opposed to PVC. With this in mind and considering their design I have to say that they possess the best encapsulation device in the Graded Comics Market.

Having said that, since the Library of Congress has yet to endorse Barex, the best device for comic storage is still Mylar, with chamber paper and a FullBack. IMO

Well, I am glad to see PGX move to using Barex, as opposed to PVC. With this in mind and considering their design I have to say that they possess the best encapsulation device in the Graded Comics Market.

Having said that, since the Library of Congress has yet to endorse Barex, the best device for comic storage is still Mylar, with chamber paper and a FullBack. IMO

Except that E. Gerber mylar sleeves are made with MylarS, which is impregnated with a UV inhibitor. The LOC says that's a no-no, although Gerber claims that the MylarS material is "accepted as photo safe to direct contact and is used internationally by archives and museums."

Except that E. Gerber mylar sleeves are made with MylarS, which is impregnated with a UV inhibitor. The LOC says that's a no-no, although Gerber claims that the MylarS material is "accepted as photo safe to direct contact and is used internationally by archives and museums."

Povertyrow checked with Gerber today, and Gerber confirmed that they are now using only MylarD and they don't have any MylarS products left in stock. They just need to update their website. Thanks for checking, Michael! flowerred.gif

Thanks for checking, Michael!

NP, FBB! wink.gif

Funny thing. First person at Gerber I spoke to got flustered and didn't know what I was talking about. May have been an order-taker. Then a confident-voiced gentleman came on and instantly understood and explained the situation.

thumbsup2.gif

Gerber used to have a product named "Topps" - 4 mil Mylar bags with beaded top edges.

One product in their line was "UV-Topps". Only one side of the bag was made from UV-protective mylar. I have some of them, material is slighly darker than normal mylar.

Povertyrow checked with Gerber today, and Gerber confirmed that they are now using only MylarD and they don't have any MylarS products left in stock. They just need to update their website. Thanks for checking, Michael!

and

NP, FBB!

Funny thing. First person at Gerber I spoke to got flustered and didn't know what I was talking about. May have been an order-taker. Then a confident-voiced gentleman came on and instantly understood and explained the situation.

Hi everyone

Now I'm kinda confused!

I just got an email back from Gerber (April 12, 2005) and they tell me that type D is no longer available from Dupont (which is a what I've heard for almost 2 years now - from various sources) and that they use Melinex 516 and PET films from another supplier. Type S or some other type, I don't know.

Anyone got any further info?

Thanks

Tracey Heft

www.eclipsepaper.com

Povertyrow checked with Gerber today, and Gerber confirmed that they are now using only MylarD and they don't have any MylarS products left in stock. They just need to update their website. Thanks for checking, Michael!

and

NP, FBB!

Hi everyone

Now I'm kinda confused!

I just got an email back from Gerber (April 12, 2005) and they tell me that type D is no longer available from Dupont (which is a what I've heard for almost 2 years now - from various sources) and that they use Melinex 516 and PET films from another supplier. Type S or some other type, I don't know.

Anyone got any further info?

Thanks

Tracey Heft

www.eclipsepaper.com

I'm sure they'd tell you if you asked, but they are probably using the Mylar D trademark to refer to Melinex 516 because they are chemically the same.