• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

According to CGC, slabs I sent them were damaged. Advice for moving forward with USPS claim?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Got gutted with submission news today:

I recently made 2 submissions, all of which were sent in the same package.  One was a floppy comic to be graded, the other two were previously GCG graded 9.8's to be reslabbed (slabs in good condition but significant Newton Rings, which I now kick myself over for being so picky).  I documented everything up to the point of drop off at my local USPS, and used a good amount of bubble wrap to boot.  The shipment was sent priority mail, and insured up to $600.

CGC received April 17th, and no mention of any damage.  Floppy was separated from the slabs, 2 submissions created.  Floppy was graded and set back to me within a week despite that I ordered a CCS pressing.  In trying to pursue what happened with this submission and why it likely wasn't pressed, I learned about the other submission today (May 8th) that:

• My CGC slabbed 9.8's "arrived with impact damage" and "as courtesy they are receiving pressing services in an attempt to repair the damage.  The books will be graded following the pressing to determine the outcome."
  • If the grades of both books slips at all, for example down to 9.6's, I stand to lose at least $350 based on current FMVs.

I've asked the CGC customer service rep for any pictures of the damage when CGC received them, as well as an estimate for when they new grade will be determined, and was told they'd get back to me.

Anyone have any experience with this?  I understand the steps for filing a claim with USPS, but really it's about working with CGC and gathering the evidence for the claim.  I have 60 days as well to file the claim, so time is a factor, and pressing takes a while...

• Administrator

Good morning, thanks for your message.  Can you advise which customer service rep you were dealing with and I can check with them to see what is going on with your order. 

Thanks!

On 5/11/2020 at 9:39 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning, thanks for your message.  Can you advise which customer service rep you were dealing with and I can check with them to see what is going on with your order. 

Thanks!

Hi Jennifer,

Sorry I didn't see this notification before, but I've been emailing back and forth with the representative this week and she just informed me today via email that both comics will maintain their original 9.8 grades, so all is good.  Thank you!