• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this restoration? - CGC grader notes blue label book indicate moderate coloring front cover

13 posts in this topic

Purchased grader notes for a golden age book I was interested in but hadn't bought yet. 

Blue label 3.0 notes in question:

moderate coloring front cover 

moderate coloring interior front cover

Are these notes the same as color touch or are they different?

Thanks for your help in advance.

28 minutes ago, Asianassassincomics said:

Purchased grader notes for a golden age book I was interested in but hadn't bought yet. 

Blue label 3.0 notes in question:

moderate coloring front cover 

moderate coloring interior front cover

Are these notes the same as color touch or are they different?

Thanks for your help in advance.

This could just be "coloring" from someone doing some creative artwork to the book, which certainly isn't uncommon. This would help explain the low grade as well. So it sounds like no resto...just an abundance of amateur creativity.

31 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

This could just be "coloring" from someone doing some creative artwork to the book, which certainly isn't uncommon. This would help explain the low grade as well. So it sounds like no resto...just an abundance of amateur creativity.

Thanks for your comments. I don't see any amateur creativity on the front cover and that's why I was leaning more towards color touch. 

I see a few black dots on the right edge of the book but they don't look to be filling in color loss on the cover as they are in a white / cream area. 

Edited by Asianassassincomics

13 minutes ago, Asianassassincomics said:

Thanks for your comments. I don't see any amateur creativity on the front cover and that's why I was leaning more towards color touch. 

I see a few black dots on the right edge of the book but they don't look to be filling in color loss on the cover as they are in a white / cream area. 

The real clue would be any comments on the label regarding restoration. So even if the label is blue, if there are notes regarding restoration on the label, that would mean resto was discovered but the label designation wasn't changed to reflect it.

If there are no restoration notes on the label, there's likely no resto.   :foryou:

Low grades allow for damages like color touch.  A blue label 3.0 could have purposeful color touch (an attempt at restoration) and CGC would simply take off points for it.  I believe it's possible to request a blue label regardless of the problem (restoration, signature on the cover, missing coupon inside), and CGC will treat the problem as damage, assigning the appropriate grade.

14 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Low grades allow for damages like color touch.  A blue label 3.0 could have purposeful color touch (an attempt at restoration) and CGC would simply take off points for it.  I believe it's possible to request a blue label regardless of the problem (restoration, signature on the cover, missing coupon inside), and CGC will treat the problem as damage, assigning the appropriate grade.

Ct is Ct. Applied ink on paper objectively described. Nothing more nothin less. The distinction between so called “amateur creativity” and “Ct” is fake news. It cant be a question of the assumed intent behind the Ct that decides which label colour the book is given.

Just now, Mr bla bla said:
19 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Ct is Ct. Applied ink on paper objectively described. Nothing more nothin less. The distinction between so called “amateur creativity” and “Ct” is fake news. It cant be a question of the assumed intent behind the Ct that decides which label colour the book is given.

Intent certainly doesn't matter at low grades.  When you're at CGC 3.0, there can be all kinds of problems, pages ripped and taped, bad creases with color touch, and it's still a blue label because those are allowed in grades that low.

For higher grades (purple) the "assumed intent" is judged more as "quality of work" in CGC's restored coding system.

https://www.cgccomics.com/comic-grading/grading-scale/#restoration

3 hours ago, Lest 2 Art said:

Are B + R's new muscles color touch or amateur creativity?

IMG_8502.jpeg.9fdd5ac4e35476b87bf5bdc181

Applied ink interpreted as “amateur creativity” = blue label.

Applied ink interpreted as hiding an underlying restorative intention = purple label.

Applied ink as a signature is interpreted as specially desirable CT = “Sig series”.

This is not objective grading. Its moral condemnation of a specific  category of books. And moral glorification of another category of books.

there is no underlying justification for this random distribution of glory or doom.

Edited by Mr bla bla

While I do appreciate the adoption of the term "amateur creativity", I used this term to describe what would commonly be known as scribbling, which often affects various sections of a given comic book with the uninhibited use of pencil, pen, marker or crayon. In some cases, it can be very minor; in other cases it can be pretty excessive. This wouldn't normally be classified as "color touch" because it's not an attempt to hide a flaw. It's essentially just unnecessary doodling, which in some cases affects the grade substantially because of the significant reduction in visual appeal.

So the grading notes in this case appear to accurately reflect this by referring to the flaw as "moderate coloring." If it were moderate color touch, CGC would normally use the term "moderate color touch" and include the restoration information on the label (and often enter it in the grading notes as well). Of course, if there were pictures of the book in question, I could give you an even more definitive answer...  :whistle: