• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone wonder what effect "40 year old virgin" will have on our hobby?

The "40 year old virgin" effect  

216 members have voted

1. 1. The "40 year old virgin" effect

37 posts in this topic

I think it'll have a bigger effect on guys who collect Million Dollar Man action figures smile.gif

The only thing that I have the resembles that is an out of the box 80's Boba Fett large sized

figure that has a see through magnifing eye lense like the old Steve Austin figures.

thumbsup2.gif

don't think comics were prominent enough to really affect us...

that said, I thought the movie was freakin' hilarious. smile.gif

I here you...

Hey man Welcome To The Boards!

And yet another NC member!

thumbsup2.gif

thanks smile.gif and it DOES seem like I keep running into a lot of NC comic collectors (here, ValiantFans.com, CBR.com... but I never seem to actually meet anyone... curious)

as for figures... I do have the red costume and yellow costume versions of the 12" Daredevils that came out in... 2000? something like that. But that's all. Just couldn't ever bring myself to sink that much money into toys and not open them. It does seem, however, that that might have been a more solid investment than comics. At least toys come with their own protective boxes and stuff...

"Ok, Steve Austin, you don't have to go." smile.gif

I think it'll have a bigger effect on guys who collect Million Dollar Man action figures smile.gif

The only thing that I have the resembles that is an out of the box 80's Boba Fett large sized

figure that has a see through magnifing eye lense like the old Steve Austin figures.

thumbsup2.gif

I've got all the BATMAN HUSH figures in their boxes hanging on my bedroom wall blush.gif27_laughing.gif

I think if more people saw Comic Book Villains and it's "Stop collecting comics and get on with life, chump!" message, it would have a very negative impact on the number of collectors.

nah....that movie made me proud to be a collector....

I think if more people saw Comic Book Villains and it's "Stop collecting comics and get on with life, chump!" message, it would have a very negative impact on the number of collectors.

nah....that movie made me proud to be a collector....

I felt the message was a bit broader and encompassed all forms of desperation, self-loathing and greed.

That said, the movie wasn't about collectors. It was about dealers, don't you know. God they're a bunch of witless, mercenary scumbags, I tell ya. tongue.gifwink.gifsmirk.gif

I felt the message was a bit broader and encompassed all forms of desperation, self-loathing and greed.

Actually, that was the story, I'm talking about the theme.

This was expounded at the end, where the only surviving main character is out in Spain, dating a hot spanish gal, living his own life rather than letting comics control it.

Everyone else who let comics dictate their actions was either dead or in jail.

This was expounded at the end, where the only main character left living or free was out in Spain, dating a hot spanish gal, living his own life rather than letting comics control it.

Yes, I remember that scene - I guess the underlying message there is that pathologically collecting comics = death or long term imprisonment.

A bit arch, frankly, not to mention cliched. All the protagonists in the film except the survivor had only the most tenuous of links with genuine characterization.

This was expounded at the end, where the only surviving main character is out in Spain, dating a hot spanish gal, living his own life rather than letting comics control it.

Everyone else who let comics dictate their actions was either dead or in jail.

Welllllllll, that's not ENTIRELY the end. He got to live in Spain, dating a hot Spanish gal, because he sold all of the old lady's baseball cards. His actions were dictated because he sold all the cards.

Yes, I remember that scene - I guess the underlying message there is that pathologically collecting comics = death or long term imprisonment.

Pretty well, but it encompassed all forms of comic addiction, from collecting to dealing to theft, and even including the old lady's attachment to her dead son's books...

Comics don't mean much if yer six feet under. thumbsup2.gif

[Welllllllll, that's not ENTIRELY the end. He got to live in Spain, dating a hot Spanish gal, because he sold all of the old lady's baseball cards. His actions were dictated because he sold all the cards.

Of course, that was the point. From the start, he wanted to get away, experience life, and drop this fanatical obsession. He was also the only one NOT to ask the old lady for her comics, and he did not let the value of the books control his actions - he was nice to her because he wanted to.

The comics possessed and controlled the other characters, some for money and others for prestige, and they eventually paid for it.

Arch was the only character who seemed to not care about the $$$, and therefore was the one to ultimately benefit from it.

Pretty well, but it encompassed all forms of comic addiction, from collecting to dealing to theft, and even including the old lady's attachment to her dead son's books...

Comics don't mean much if yer six feet under. thumbsup2.gif

You can't take it with you. Quaint. That said, there's no point denying that it is very addictive.

the theme was merely Greed Undoes Thee. the fact that it was comics was just a way of differentiating the movie from every other "greed gets you in trouble" story that's been done a thousand times before