• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Justice League of America 166-168

83 posts in this topic

I also have a nice page from 166, but I don't have it scanned yet.

I've said for years and years that someone should use this story as the springboard to something great. I mean, this is one of the best satellite stories ever. The art by Dillin and Frank McLaughlin was beautiful and Gerry Conway's story, as simple as it may be, was way ahead of its time.

Mike Browning

I also have a nice page from 166, but I don't have it scanned yet.

I've said for years and years that someone should use this story as the springboard to something great. I mean, this is one of the best satellite stories ever. The art by Dillin and Frank McLaughlin was beautiful and Gerry Conway's story, as simple as it may be, was way ahead of its time.

Mike Browning

Really? I looked at this period as one of the low points in JLA. The Steve Englehart run from 139-150, which I really liked, was long gone. Conway was settling in to a rut. Julie Schwartz had just retired from editing JLA. The just-completed arc that introduced Zatanna as a JLAer was I thought Conway's best work during this run, and was a fitting swan song to the Schwartz-edited JLA. Only later when George Perez started drawing the book did I think it picked up in quality.

But obviously Brad Metzer feels a similar way about these stories as you do, so thumbsup2.gif

I sold my 166, 167 and 168 for 100 each. They were NM+I paid 7 bucks each.

Insanity! Does anyone here think these books will retain their price 2 years from now?

oh, and good for you for getting such a good price. Kudos. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Two years from now? Yes. Ten years from now? Maybe not.

Insanity! Does anyone here think these books will retain their price 2 years from now?

Your uncanny ability to slip your auction listings into a post are unparalleled. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i sold mine to the guy who likes to pay $100 a pop for them for $29, which I thought was nice given that if was VF/NM and I paid 25 cents for it. nice guy, quick pay.

i would have loved $100, but I couldn't call it a 9.6 - 9.8, it was nice, but I couldn't give it that sort of grade.

Back when IDC started, I combed the area shops and found 2 167s and a 168. None were in great shape, maybe one VF- 168 was the best. I paid just a couple bucks each for them and sold them for about $12-15 each when IDC #6 came out, figuring that after the end of the series they'd calm down. I didn't even think about it after that, since historically tie-ins tend to sag fairly quickly. I miscalulated that quite a bit here. A couple weeks ago my LCS put a VF/NM 168 on their counter with a $60 price tag (IIRC) and I got that heartburn feeling of missed opportunity again. They still have it, but if they do sell it it will be for a lot closer to $60 than $15. I guess the extraordinarily big gap between original story and "event" makes it a whole lot more collectable than I thought.

What really irks me is that I started reading JLA around #179 when Firestorm joined and these issues always eluded me when I tried to build up the run. I have #130 up to about 165 or so, then 175 up into the 200s. Could've gotten them for cover price sometime in the last 20 years.

I still remember buying these at the drugstore back in it's day. I loved them back then but I wonder if they still hold up? I enjoy the Identity Crisis tie-in. I'll have to go to my JLA box and take a peak at them again.

That was the JLA 167 NM+ auction for $94. The JLA 168 I sold was ebay auction 6549410146. The 166 was a private sale. These 3 books were unread, white pages and incredible gloss. I didn't dare open them up and try to read them. I am looking to buy some raggy reader copies.

$20-$40 for a nice raw copy of these seems more appropriate and has a better chance of sticking long-term. it's not like these are particularly rare, just less common than, let's say, their marvel equivalent (Avengers).

Your uncanny ability to slip your auction listings into a post are unparalleled. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

36_11_6.gif

Now, I'm not much of a DC fan and am not getting into Infinite Crisis (so - in a preambling way - forgive me for a stupid question)....

How can this be the precursor for IC when this happened prior to the original Crisis?

Or is everything that happened pre-Crisis in the post-Crisis history... just in a compressed timeline? Or is pre-Crisis history being selectively mined and deemed in-continuity as modern writers see fit?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Now, I'm not much of a DC fan and am not getting into Infinite Crisis (so - in a preambling way - forgive me for a stupid question)....

How can this be the precursor for IC when this happened prior to the original Crisis?

Or is everything that happened pre-Crisis in the post-Crisis history... just in a compressed timeline? Or is pre-Crisis history being selectively mined and deemed in-continuity as modern writers see fit?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

DAY-AMM, F4F!

You just gave me a headache with that post! tongue.gif