• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2003 Overstreet, what's going up the most?

70 posts in this topic

> ? I don't think the new guide will have Metro or Storms suddenly repricing books and I doubt any knowledgeable buyer on ebay will suddenly start doing things differently.

A year or two ago (I forget), Metropolis took most of their inventory offline for

several weeks, explaining that they had to reprice their books according to the

new guide. Will be interesting to see what happens this time - remarkable

how the market has changed in such a short time...

It seems like most of this stuff over 9.2 has no real definitive set price. Look at that Hulk 162 9.8 for example. I bet Bob had no idea the book would go that high. I tis difficult to ever predict closing prices on the ultra high grade early Marvels. I am bidding on a 9.4 FF 33 that is over $1000 - Ewert had reserve under $500! I think if Overstreet tried to set prices for this stuff it would be a mistake. They would need to put in a lot of qualifiers - "could go for more depending on movie release, less if movie sucks, less if 1 month after movie, more if war going well, less if economy sucks, etc"

Are you guys really that dependent upon the new Overstreet to decide what you will pay for stuff?
Yes, for issues I may want to buy when I see them that I don't track market prices for. I can't keep up with 99.5% of the comics out there, and I can't even remember prices on EVERY issue that I do watch from time to time. Doesn't stop me from paying more on issues I know are extremely difficult to find.

Clobberintime's right about the 9.2's and up, and you are right about the mid-grades being all wrong in the guide. Seems to me that doing what the dealers and "advisors" want for so many years may have finally caught up to overstreet. Book seems pretty much useless as a guide relevant to the market. So, maybe it is obsolete. No-ones mentioned VF prices, and they are way out-of whack, just like the VG's and the NM's. So, what's left?

Not a whole lot. frown.gif

But, I have to admit I "generally" use it when deciding on how high to go on an e-bay auction. I also buy it to see how the market has changed, ACCORDING TO OVERSTREET, realizing of course that reality has not as yet set in.

and, yes I do enjoy the market reports.( I don't just look at the pictures. ) smirk.gif