• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blumhouse's UPGRADE TV series sequel (TBD)

3 posts in this topic

EXCLUSIVE: Leigh Whannell’s 2018 Blumhouse sci-fi thriller feature Upgrade is getting a TV series followup.

The series is co-created and executive produced by Whannell and Tim Walsh (Treadstone) who serves as showrunner. Whannell, coming off writing and directing Blumhouse’s The Invisible Man, is set to direct. Blumhouse Television and UCP are collaborating on the adaptation, which has opened a writers room.

Upgrade the series picks up a few years after the events of the film and broadens the universe with an evolved version of STEM and a new host – imagining a world in which the government repurposes STEM to help curb criminal activity.

In the writers room, which is breaking stories and writing scripts for Upgrade’s first season, Whannell and Walsh are joined by writer-producers Krystal Ziv Houghton and James Roland, who ran the second season of Blumhouse TV’s USA Network horror series The Purge, also an offshoot from a Blumhouse movie title.

Talking to Collider, Blumhouse godfather Jason Blum expressed his disappointment in the film’s theatrical experience, believing it is a lot greater than its box office suggests. Blum explained that the scripts for the show are done, but he thinks there’s room for improvement. Blum says that the first round of scriptwriting fell short of expectations, and he has ordered rewrites hoping that Upgrade will impress TV bosses enough to get a full-season order.

"Upgrade should have been a wide release. I was pissed about that. We're working on a TV show. So working on the scripts. This first round, didn't come out. I didn't get the response I wanted to get. I don't want to be in development. I want an order. We're working on the scripts again, so that we can get an order. And I don't want to develop it."