• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking info on the golden age Red Skull
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hi friends,

Wondering if some experts on golden age stories can help me.  I always remembered that George Maxon was the original Red Skull and in later decades it was resolved that Johann Schmidt was actually the real Red Skull all these years in classic retroactive continuity.  Looking around the internet and even some professional publications now cite Johann's first appearance as Cap #7 from 1941. Being the wannabe comic historian, I dutifully purchased a Masterworks to read Cap #7 from 1941 and was surprised when nothing of note happens in the issue that would lead us to believe this is a different Red Skull.  CGC also makes no mention of this issue as a first appearance.

I'm wondering where this information came from that Cap #7 from 1941 is some seminal issue.  Please be specific with issues where Johann's name is first revealed. 

Thanks for your help!

Rich

On 6/22/2020 at 5:02 PM, Lost said:

Hi friends,

Wondering if some experts on golden age stories can help me.  I always remembered that George Maxon was the original Red Skull and in later decades it was resolved that Johann Schmidt was actually the real Red Skull all these years in classic retroactive continuity.  Looking around the internet and even some professional publications now cite Johann's first appearance as Cap #7 from 1941. Being the wannabe comic historian, I dutifully purchased a Masterworks to read Cap #7 from 1941 and was surprised when nothing of note happens in the issue that would lead us to believe this is a different Red Skull.  CGC also makes no mention of this issue as a first appearance.

I'm wondering where this information came from that Cap #7 from 1941 is some seminal issue.  Please be specific with issues where Johann's name is first revealed. 

Thanks for your help!

Rich

George Maxon was the original Red Skull, 1st appearing in Cap #1 and again in Cap #3. I’ve not yet read Cap #7, but he “apparently” meets his demise at the end of Cap #3.

My guess, and it’s just a guess, is that if they wrote off Maxon and brought back a “new” Red Skull, the later development of Schmidt was simply attributed to the Red Skull from Cap #7.

Similar to attributing Joe Chill to the character depicted in Tec #33.

Or, if you wanted to go there, attributing the origin of the Joker to being Alfred Stryker in Tec #27 (as seen in the new 52).