• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bags/boards for a new collector of modern comics
2 2

29 posts in this topic

I’ve just started collecting comics over the last few months. I’m only getting current stuff off the shelf at my LCS. I’ve been having the store give me a bag and board with each one (ComicCare for $0.18/each set). My thought is to buy in bulk and perhaps better quality stuff. 

I’m debating between some BCW poly bags/BCW boards and EGerber MyLites2/Half Backs. The latter would be roughly twice as much ($0.18/set versus about $0.44/set). 

I don’t mind spending the extra money as it’s not an issue. If buying direct from E Gerber, the prices are good. Though, shipping is nuts if it is what it says along the bottom ($36ish for 250 MyLites/Fullbacks), and the $100 minimum is a bit annoying. That said I would mind if it’s pretty needless and unnecessary/overkill. I don’t ever plan to hunt down older comics, just current stuff, if that matters. 

The main thing I wonder about is reports that you need to change poly bags/boards every 5 or so years whereas Mylar never needs to be changed. That would obviously erase price difference really quickly. Plus add time to switch. Is this a tested truth or just something people adhere to because it’s knowledge they’ve heard (e.g., change your cars oil ever 3 months/3k miles)? Would MyLites/half backs really last forever never needing replacement? I read about the acid test here, which was interesting. In a scientific experiment setting, there seems to be significant differences in boards. What about in practical use? Has anyone put the same comic in Mylar/EGerber boards and another in BCW stuff and let them sit for 5, 10, 15 years to observe changes in the comic?

On a side note, I bought one of these boxes to store the starting collection. When I bought it, it never occurred to me that the the container storing the comics might have an effect on the degradation of comics (if it does). Wood is naturally acidic, and plywood is probably even more so. Would storing the comics in her potentially cause problems (assuming the books are bagged)? FWIW, the lid also doesn’t fit with the dividers inside. It rests on the dividers. 

http://etsy.me/29ZP6WZ

Edited by JCarlson

So, I already own the box that I linked. Honestly, I have no interest in the white boxes. I don’t have a ton of “hidden” storage space, so the containers will need to be put on shelves. So, they need to look nice. 

That said, if these boxes were somehow unsafe for comics based on the materials that make up the box, I’d find an alternative. 

24 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

Best option 

Also, this is my plan, I believe. I’m waiting to hear back from Ready Set Collect regarding when they will have the half backs back in stock. They have the best prices aside from direct. Though, they’re pretty close to direct prices once you factor in the crazy direct shipping prices. Plus, I don’t need to by like 350 sets to make the 100 minimum, which only further increases the already crazy shipping prices to over $40.  

Additional question: what do people use within their boxes as fillers to keep the comics upright when the box is only partially full?

I’m currently using squares of this soft, plasticy foam that came in some shipping boxes. But I’m all out. 

13 minutes ago, JCarlson said:

what do people use within their boxes as fillers to keep the comics upright when the box is only partially full?

Personally I don't use anything, I just adjust the books enough so they don't flop over

2 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

Personally I don't use anything, I just adjust the books enough so they don't flop over

My issue is that my box is on a shelf. So when I pull the box from the shelf, the books will tip over. 

If I’m only ever going to collect modern comics, should I get the “current” MyLite2 or “standard”? The standard seems to have quite a lot of space. Planning to get half backs if that matters. 

2 hours ago, JCarlson said:

That said, if these boxes were somehow unsafe for comics based on the materials that make up the box, I’d find an alternative. 

I have no idea if they're safe or not but $49 per box? Yikes! How many more comics could you buy with the money wasted on those boxes? 

49 minutes ago, BeepBeep said:

Have you ever felt the difference between HBs and FBs?

No, but I’ve felt other boards of the same thickness as halfbacks and they feel more than sufficient for their purpose. Would you recommend going thicker? Maybe two fullbacks per comic. 

20 minutes ago, Inappropriate Spock said:

I have no idea if they're safe or not but $49 per box? Yikes! How many more comics could you buy with the money wasted on those boxes? 

I need something that looks nice so as to not detract from the decor of the rest of the room. 

29 minutes ago, Inappropriate Spock said:
  2 hours ago, JCarlson said:

Plywood, being thin layers of wood glued together, will put off fumes that, over time, can possibly cause damage to your books. Short term, unlikely to be an issue. Although the boxes are living room and wife friendly, the cost is a bit much. How about regular comic boxes covered in a neutral colored gift wrapping paper?

4 minutes ago, jokiing said:

Plywood, being thin layers of wood glued together, will put off fumes that, over time, can possibly cause damage to your books. Short term, unlikely to be an issue. Although the boxes are living room and wife friendly, the cost is a bit much. How about regular comic boxes covered in a neutral colored gift wrapping paper?

The fumes could damage the books even if they’re in Mylar bags?

I don’t mind the cost of the boxes as they look nice and even add to the decor of that section of the room. That said, I’d consider other options for future boxes (which I’ll need soon). Even still, I’m not interested in plain white boxes. If anyone has any suggestions of boxes that look nice, function well, and are safe, I’d love to hear them. Not terribly concerned about price. 

1 minute ago, JCarlson said:

The fumes could damage the books even if they’re in Mylar bags?

Yes.... unless you can get an airtight seal on the bag.... which probably isn't healthy for the comic book either since the paper/ink puts off fumes as well..... talking long term.

6 minutes ago, JCarlson said:

Even still, I’m not interested in plain white boxes. If anyone has any suggestions of boxes that look nice, function well, and are safe, I’d love to hear them.

Commission an artist or 5 year old to decorate those white boxes. (shrug)

I've gone standard bag and boards for moderns.  My oldest books have been in bags for 20+ years.  I think storage climate plays a part in how quickly bags start to deteriorate.  I've bought some older books from people in bags that clearly needed to be replaced (you could tell based on texture and color).  All I'm saying is that I think the notion of changing every 5 years is a bit preposterous.  I've transitioned to Mylites/FBs/Archival bags for any books of value.  Beyond that, the next step are the few graded books I own.

Not sure how much the Mylites/FBs cost in bulk, but I've started to wonder if I should replace all of my books from standard bags/boards to Mylites, but that would require me to buy nearly 3500 and I don't even want to think about the math on that (or the time required to switch.

And for what it's worth, for my modern books, I use Current size Thick bags.  I found the normal current size bags to be too tight, especially for 96 page anniversary books.  The thick bags are perfect for two books back to back separated by two boards (which is great since I store all my books back to back because it puts less stress on the spines).