• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maybe Chuck's not really a bad grader....

26 posts in this topic

In Chucks new email newsletter, he gives us a little insight into why so many books we have ordered from him labeled NM/M actually arrive on our doorsteps in VG and F condition. Heres an excerpt about their hiring drive going on right now:

We are currently seeking motivated individuals who have a desire to work within the comics industry as a career. Prospective staff members would start their training at our Fox St. warehouse. Many opportunities then exist for qualified individuals to move up within the Mile High Comics staff hierarchy, as our online sales are currently growing very rapidly. These starting positions have a training wage of $6.50 per hour, with a raise to $7.00 after 90 days, and $7.50 after another 90 days. Primary duties include:

Sorting Comics

Filing Comics

Pulling Orders

Bagging Orders

and Packing Orders for Shipment

Comics knowledge is required for these positions. We also ask for a positive attitude, a willingness to learn, and the ability to work in a high-energy environment. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, have a high school diploma (or GED), and be in good physical condition, with no dust allergies.

thats a lotta comics handling by the lowest paid, un- "skilled" workers with little or no comics experience. ouch. I can feel those spines bending from here as they're 'pulled', bagged and 'packed' into boxes. 893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gif

Perhaps thats before the secret codeword goes onto the payroll sheet.

In all seriousness,back in 1988 or so,I had a fairly protracted discourse with him about going to work for him and the package he offered was much better than any other offer I got.

You're legally allowed to pay someone only $6.50 an hour in the US? 893whatthe.gif

And as for the high-energy environment...I can't see any mail order dealer being -that- busy - perhaps it would be wiser to seek staff who don't mind the drudgery of scanning books for hours at a time for weeks on end (and yes, I do know what that's like, it's appalling), and the tedium of preparing ebay item descriptions...

You're legally allowed to pay someone only $6.50 an hour in the US? 893whatthe.gif

And as for the high-energy environment...I can't see any mail order dealer being -that- busy - perhaps it would be wiser to seek staff who don't mind the drudgery of scanning books for hours at a time for weeks on end (and yes, I do know what that's like, it's appalling), and the tedium of preparing ebay item descriptions...

You are legally allowed to pay someone $5.15 an hour as best i can recall.

In one of his earlier rants,didn't Chuck talk about how he paid his staff at least $10 an hour,plus benefits?

...yep,..I recall that as well,..was about two years ago,...good memory... thumbsup2.gif

In one of his earlier rants,didn't Chuck talk about how he paid his staff at least $10 an hour,plus benefits?

...yep,..I recall that as well,..was about two years ago,...good memory... thumbsup2.gif

The whole "MIle High vs. Walmart" thingy, yes? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In Chucks new email newsletter, he gives us a little insight into why so many books we have ordered from him labeled NM/M actually arrive on our doorsteps in VG and F condition. Heres an excerpt about their hiring drive going on right now:

We are currently seeking motivated individuals who have a desire to work within the comics industry as a career. Prospective staff members would start their training at our Fox St. warehouse. Many opportunities then exist for qualified individuals to move up within the Mile High Comics staff hierarchy, as our online sales are currently growing very rapidly. These starting positions have a training wage of $6.50 per hour, with a raise to $7.00 after 90 days, and $7.50 after another 90 days. Primary duties include:

Sorting Comics

Filing Comics

Pulling Orders

Bagging Orders

Comics knowledge is required for these positions. We also ask for a positive attitude, a willingness to learn, and the ability to work in a high-energy environment. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, have a high school diploma (or GED), and be in good physical condition, with no dust allergies.

thats a lotta comics handling by the lowest paid, un- "skilled" workers with little or no comics experience. ouch. I can feel those spines bending from here as they're 'pulled', bagged and 'packed' into boxes. 893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gif

:sarcasm meter on:

I'm stunned. Could this be a trend away from having comic shops staffed with high paid, trained professionals? Mercy.

:sarcasm meter off:

Sorting Comics

Filing Comics

Pulling Orders

Bagging Orders

:sarcasm meter on:

I'm stunned. Could this be a trend away from having comic shops staffed with high paid, trained professionals? Mercy.

:sarcasm meter off:

soon his sorting, bagging and boarding dept will be off-shored to india...

Sorting Comics

Filing Comics

Pulling Orders

Bagging Orders

Ooohh yeah, I can see the huge line forming with qualified people, applications in hand, for such a great job. tongue.gif

maybe he gives staff really excellent codewords?

colorado isn't such a cheap place to live. what exactly does he plan to get for $7.50 an hour over the age of 18? seriously, this could be a fun job for some high school kids. I guess it would be ok if you're going to college in the area.

my guess is that employees at most comic shops don't do any better, but what he's describing is total tedium, not hanging out during the day behind the cash register reading this week's new books for $7.50 an hour (I think my old LCS paid his guy $8-9 an hour (IN CASH) back in the 90's, but that's NYC) and b-sing with his buddies, which is the norm.