• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info on this Brenda Starr pence comic

7 posts in this topic

Thats an Australian edition. I have a few in the series but not that one. The first five were in landscape format like your issue.

Feel free to sell it to me... :grin:

OtherEric and AJD - Thank you for your replies.  I bought it because of the similarity to Brenda Starr 14.  As you can see, the Australian version is much more modest that the US version.  The only thing I don't like about the book is that it is in a Magazine slab vs the norm.   I have always wanted to buy the US version, but with pricing going into orbit, I'll need to be content with this version.  Very happy I stumbled across it! 

Brenda Starr 14 Four Star 3-48  60.jpg

5 hours ago, AndrewCup said:

OtherEric and AJD - Thank you for your replies.  I bought it because of the similarity to Brenda Starr 14.  As you can see, the Australian version is much more modest that the US version.  The only thing I don't like about the book is that it is in a Magazine slab vs the norm.   I have always wanted to buy the US version, but with pricing going into orbit, I'll need to be content with this version.  Very happy I stumbled across it! 

Brenda Starr 14 Four Star 3-48  60.jpg

I recognized the source right away!  Good luck on finding that one, it's high on the list of wanted books for the Digital Comic Museum as well.  Even if it's a more modest version it's a nice placeholder. 

I wonder if the artwork you have was actually the original from the comic strip, and the Four Star version was based on that, rather than vice versa.  It would be slightly surprising to find Four Star version on the newspaper page...

Australian covers were often reworked - and sometimes badly redrawn - compared to the US versions so the change was probably made locally. Incidentally, the interiors will be in B&W.

BTW, I'm in the market for issues from that series (and many other Australian books) if anyone has any for sale.