• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silveracre: Good ,bad, indifferent?

40 posts in this topic

On a positive note, there is one guy at the London marts who is a part-time dealer - all his stock is really cleanly presented in fresh bags and boards - with lots of well-marked seperators. He's also genuinely friendly and interested in the hobby. Unfortunately, I never got his name! (He sells mylar too - anyone know him?)

Others just have reams and reams of stock jumbled-up, with filthy bags - and are about as welcoming as a freshly laid cow-pat.

I've never bought from Goldust or Flaming Telegraph - so I can't wink.gif comment.

The saddest thing at the last one was this guy who'd bought a table in the hope of selling off his 'collection'. He'd probably got the worst table in the hall - and his stock really was crud... wonder how he did...

Additionally, there's always a guy selling Basketball magazines... why?

Am hoping the Brighton convention will be a return to form!

eee, I remember those UKCAC glory days - you could buy V for Vendetta original art for £20 and still have change for a bag of chips...

Silver acres stock can't be beat?????????????????????? Yeah ok, he has Batman 1, FF 1's, Hulk 1's, Spidey 1's, but look through the boxes! he has most runs, but the grades are low and the prices too high. I like them, they are nice people, his wall stock (wall paper is great), stock in the boxes, please. Nick and Andy try to get new stock in their boxes all the time, and well presented. Goldust is most probably one of the best graders in the UK. Nick has a good CGC section. Paul McCartney (not the Beatles) also tries, vast stock, not as many high grades as Goldie, Nicky, but a good stock all 40's-70's. Stock wise those are the top 3 in the conventions in London (if we exclude wallpaper)!!!!!!!!!

On another note, Goldust and Nick only like to buy VF and above books! (too fussy)

Actually, that isn't true when it comes to Atom Age and GA books - anything in VG+ and above is generally decent for those eras.

Thanks for the praise, btw.

I don't often get a chance to go to Marts, but recently i went to the one near Euston - can't remember the exact location, and i went to Bristol.

Yes, some of the more expensive books are properly cared for, but i was looking for NM FF's in the 100-150 range - i was seeing high prices, and no boards in over crammed long boxes. Just looking yourself damages them, never mind the 100's of hands that have been there before you.

mad.gif

I remember the Liverpool Mart being a lot better, but have not been in years.

A few months ago i went round all the London stores as well and got the same thing - boxes too full - overpriced - low grade dross.

Telepath - Goldust - if you have advice for me of where to go, i'd really appreciate it! smile.gif

Hi Fable - I can't speak for other dealers, but all my comics at shows are boarded -although I'm thinking of having them Mylared too (like FT).

As for NM FFs between 100 and 150, it's best to check my website, then email and I'll bring them to the show.

That's cool Goldust - i'll check it out now thumbsup2.gif

By the way, which Mart do you recommend as the best? I live near London.

The Royal National Mart (on Bedford Way, just off Russell Square) is now the only comic Mart left in the capital, although it was always the best one, anyway. The next shows are on October 2nd and October 30th. PM me if you need any further details....

I remember the Liverpool Mart being a lot better, but have not been in years.

That takes me back...I grew up on the Liverpool marts. It used to be at the Bluecoat, waaaaaaay back in the 70s and early 80s.

Got offered a decent X-Men #1 (maybe around a FN/VF) for £15 at one of the shows there, but only had £5 on me and it was pretty much spoken for. foreheadslap.gif

If you're looking for high grade Silver & Bronze, I don't think you can go far wrong with either Andy or I...if I do say so myself. tongue.gif

I remember the Blue Coat - did you see the OA exhibition they did there - must have been 10 years ago? I was horrified to see the McKean Joker page from Arkham Asylum - i think it was the first appearance of the Joker in the story, his face very big on the page - but someone had put their thumb through the painted page 893whatthe.gif

Still remember my sadness to this day. crazy.gif