• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another classic EBAY auction...Action Comics #1...

21 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2169180110&category=35752

This is Action Comics # 1 featuring Superman in it. This is Not a reprint of the comic it is all orignal. If you are a comic collector then you would want this comic book. It is N/M with only some color fading on some pages but not all just a few. I will only accept payments through Paypal system please no checks, money orders or cash through the mail. The shipping and handling is $15.00 so please put a bid on my comic book.

Regarding that "original" scan, I'm not sure about its validity either. I noticed that the tire rests on the bottom of the page. Because of this, I assumed that is how you can identify an original. However, in the recent Overstreet Grading Guide there is an Action #1 (may even be CGC'd), and there is quite a bit of space between the tire and the bottom of the page. Anyone know the answer? Maybe the virginia.edu comic has been trimmed?

I wonder why anyone would bother trimming that copy? It's not like a little bit of a raggedy edge is going to bring it down further in grade. Its pretty crappy as it is. Not that I would throw it away or anything!

I do see your point regarding the placement of the tire. The entire bottom edge of the virginia.edu scan appears trimmed to me.

Look at the difference on a "known" original.

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auctions/closedviewlot.asp?s=806&l=3001&SID=24BE8004AC134C59938E11B91D1236D3

Based on that, the top half of this book is identical to the scan I provided, perhaps some photoshop creativity?

confused.gif

I've got a couple Heritage catalogs...so, in addition to the 5.5 with the tire

NOT on the bottom of the page...there's also a 7.5 (restored), a 4.5, a 3.0, and a 2.5

with the tire NOT on the bottom of the page.

So, there are at least 5 known copies with the tire in the "middle" of the page.

Then again, some of them could be the same copy...resubmitted. :p

The newly discovered one currently on auction at maestronet has the tire about one inch off the bottom and the man is cut off at about the chest pocket of his suit. I notice one of your scans does not have the falling rocks by the hood.

The scam auction copy is one of the reprints probably artificially ruined to look old. The cover artwork area and logo have been repositioned to fit a modern comic books much more vertical dimensions.

Notice that the 10 cent box in in a different position--1/2" to the right, but also notice that all the elements in the top half with the logo, white panel, No1 and June 1938 AND the price are in the same exact relative positions to each other as on the original.

The two halves were repositioned to fit the new comic size. And the only affect was that the 10cent box has moved in relation to the art, which was enlarged less than the logo half.

got it?

This is ANOTHER reprint, where the production department solve the problem in an easier fashion. They just too the ENTIRE original cover. logo panel and artwork half, reduced it all as one piece and cropped off all around, mostly from the bottom. See how everything is closer to the edges than on the original Heritage scan?

NOTthat anyone thought these were original Action 1's anyway!!

Oldguy, did you... er, that high bidder guy who got his bid cancelled, mention to those that emailed him that the pic in the auction appears to be a combo of 2 Action #1s? (Has this been mentioned? Sorry if it has). It's the virginia.edu top, with the infamous Graham Crackers CGC 2.5 bottom? Let 'em know...

142783-action1.jpg.8056b0d5b967709876f5f8eb66392d88.jpg

Yea, I......er.....I'm sure that the high bidder that had his bid canceled let em know what's up.

There was another bidder that was canceled that was trying to help also. As for the people currently bidding it, [!@#%^&^] em if they can't take a hint that's this obvious.