• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some Snazzy OA

70 posts in this topic

well for sure. i think from now own i think all posters of art scans must state that they own the peice or it belongs to another collector/dealer and then please give the person there due. instead of hi-jacking someones site. nuff said. larry ;] sign-rantpost.gif

well for sure. i think from now own i think all posters of art scans must state that they own the peice or it belongs to another collector/dealer and then please give the person there due. instead of hi-jacking someones site. nuff said. larry ;] sign-rantpost.gif

desert,

I disagree with you for a variety of reasons.

Firstly,...if you post an image on the net it is in the public domain,..so anyone who is concerned about their image being hi-jacked (A) shouldnt put images on the net or (B) should use a watermark [i watermarked my ASM #46 for that very reason].

Secondly, the image in fact was mine. I owned the piece,..sold it to Jerry Bails,..who sold it to Bechera. Hence, the image is mine (the sofa on which the image was taken is mine) and I should not be restricted from its use nor should it be necessary to describe the origins of an image.

Sounds reasonable,..right ? I think so.

KrazyKat

desert,

Firstly,...if you post an image on the net it is in the public domain,..so anyone who is concerned about their image being hi-jacked (A) shouldnt put images on the net or (B) should use a watermark [i watermarked my ASM #46 for that very reason].

Secondly, the image in fact was mine. I owned the piece,..sold it to Jerry Bails,..who sold it to Bechera. Hence, the image is mine (the sofa on which the image was taken is mine) and I should not be restricted from its use nor should it be necessary to describe the origins of an image.

I disagree with you there.

I downloaded the image to my desktop.

does that mean I own that image and can post it to make it seem like mine?

Was the image that KK posted the same one that was used in the ebay auction?? I honestly don't know since the auction was down after Bechera hit the BIN.

Can you confirm the seller on this auction?

desert,

KrazyKat

Could I see a picture of the sofa?

desert,

KrazyKat

First you guys want pictures of my art . . . now you want pictures of my sofa ? ? ?

Please tell me you recognize how ridiculous all of this is ??? ?

desert,

KrazyKat

First you guys want pictures of my art . . . now you want pictures of my sofa ? ? ?

Seems like an easy request to pull off without person_without_enough_empathying. Or will it devalue the sofa. tongue.gif

desert,

KrazyKat

Seems like an easy request to pull off without person_without_enough_empathying. Or will it devalue the sofa. tongue.gif

Its a "slippery slope". First, you wanna see my sofa, next your gonna wanna see my bed. Before, you know it I'm taking pics of my patio furniture.

KK

desert,

KrazyKat

Its a "slippery slope". First, you wanna see my sofa, next your gonna wanna see my bed. Before, you know it I'm taking pics of my patio furniture.

KK

Uh, yea thats exactly what we want. Why didn't I see that before insane.gif

dammit! I thought I would have a shot at that sofa... but the hordes have already moved in. KK, I don't need a better picture; would you consider ending what is turning into an auction for that sofa early, and accept my offer of.... Oh... the heck with it, I'm sure you value it too highly...DF hi.gif

dammit! I thought I would have a shot at that sofa... but the hordes have already moved in. KK, I don't need a better picture; would you consider ending what is turning into an auction for that sofa early, and accept my offer of.... Oh... the heck with it, I'm sure you value it too highly...DF hi.gif

Back off vulture, its mine. sumo.gif

Those preaty flowers cloud9.gif

krazy. let me say. i was not directing my post at you. if so i would have addressed it to you . my post was a general statement . as more of an ideal to keep the peace. and not have have everyone question every poster of scans to see if the art does belong to them or not.

iam sure your a nice person krazy. but every post here in this board is not directed to you. and as for rights. yes every thing on the net is public domain. i think we all know that. but i think you would rather agree with me that if i took a scan of one of your pieces of your web site would not feel better if i let everyone know this piece comes from the collection of crazy kat.

then to just say. hey gang look at this cool peice. and spend the next two days being grilled by fellow board members on if i own the peice or not. thats purpose of giving credit where credit is do. its saves every one from wasting there time calling that person out.

and as for past owned pieces. i don,t see nothing wrong with posting something you use to own. i have xeroxs of past pieces i have owned. but does it not make sence to at least let everybody know when you post it, that you no longer own the page. if it a high profile page. you know somebody would have seen it in an auction or someone else collection.

now they are thinking you rip the scan from someone else. if you had let everyone know you did own the page back in the day. you would not have any problem from board members. at least of that subject ;] sorry for the long read but. i hope you see my point of view. thanks. larry thumbsup2.gif

OK. Spent my lunch hour pouring through old posts:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:44 am

Subject: JLA #21 Cover Auction on Ebay

A stunning piece of Silver Age history:

<A

HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2181161579&category=327\

37">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2181161579&category=32737\

</A>

Scotty

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The link is to the Ebay sale of the JLA cover on 6/25/03. It was snatched a few hours later by Bechera using BIN.

I have emailed a list member who states he saved a JPEG of the image and I have asked that he send me a copy. When received I will post.

The next several posts talk about the seller listing it in the wrong category as well as having a low BIN price (18K). Later that day another post is made:

Date: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:00 pm

Subject: JLA #21 Cover - Answers to some questions.

Greetings. First of all I would like to preface these comments with

the following.

First - I collect Legion of Super Heroes art exclusively, so if you

have any for sale....... PLEASE keep me in mind. Especially Silver

Age materials!

Second - A collector friend of mine (Big JLA fan) has passed on the

following information for me to post. He wants to keep out of the

discussions. I am just the messenger.

Straight from the seller of this cover.

1. Yes this cover was sold by the son of Jerry Bails.

2. When asked if he knew the value of the piece " I realize now how

much this cover was valued, but that doesn't justify bad bussiness.

I take responsibility for my actions and regardless of profit I will

do what is right."

3. When questioned about the BIN option & wrong category - Sorry

that my mistake means that others including yourself won't have a

chance at this one, but I have learned a few things today and I will

hopefully do better next time. However much I would like it, this

was my choice or mistake and I'll just have to live with the

consequences of my actions.

So there you go for what it is worth. We now return you to our

regulary scheduled program.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another lister states that he saw the JLA 21 cover and the ASM 28 cover at a Michigan art show dealing with comic art.

Yet another lister states that the piece had been in the Bails family for a LOOOONG time.

My 2 cents,....

Good post Larry.

Except for one thing:

yes every thing on the net is public domain.

gossip.gif Uh, this is not an accurate statement. Copyright, trademark, and ownership of intellectual property laws still apply to things posted on the Internet.

The problem is that posting image files on the Internet make them VERY easy to copy and repost.

People tend to erroneously assume that just because the picture is there and they are able to download and copy it (thanks to technology) that they have the right to do whatever they want with it. And that just is not true. Just because you CAN copy it, doesn't mean you have the legal right to do so.

"Posted on the Internet" does NOT equal "in the Public Domain".

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.....

rhino. thank you for correcting me. i was more or less thinking that you can,t copyright a comic art page. because it still belongs to the company that produced it trademark wise. so you can,t own the image just the page it self. thanks again. larry foreheadslap.gif

OK. Spent my lunch hour pouring through old posts:

---------------------------------------------------------------

The link is to the Ebay sale of the JLA cover on 6/25/03. It was snatched a few hours later by Bechera using BIN.

I have emailed a list member who states he saved a JPEG of the image and I have asked that he send me a copy. When received I will post.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

hi.gif