• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some Snazzy OA

70 posts in this topic

Original Art Cover JLA #21 M. Anderson DC - auction specifics

Can't seem to post the original auction page, but here are the specifics:

Feel free to host the original image attachment as I can't.

eBay item 2181161579 - Original Art Cover JLA #21 M. Anderson DC

Collectibles:Comics:Silver Age (1956-69):Superhero:Justice League of America

Bidding is closed for this item. - yalisa( 13) is the winner.

Payment Details Item price US $18,000.00

Current bid US $18,000.00 Starting bid US $18,000.00

Quantity 1 # of bids 1 Bid history

Time left Auction has ended with Buy It Now.

High bidder used Buy It Now!

Location Sacramento, CA

Country United States

Started Jun-25-03 02:41:48 PDT

Ends Jun-25-03 06:46:42 PDT

Seller (rating) stevencb0( 47)

Feedback rating: 47

High bidder yalisa( 13)

Description

This great piece is from the collection of Jerry Bails, if I need to tell you who he is you probably aren't going to be intertested in this. Please see the pictures. This is the original B&W cover art for Justice League of America #21.

This is where the Golden Age Justice Society first meet the Justice League. Artwork was done by Murphy Anderson. The condition is very good. If you have questions I will ask the expert, Jerry Bails,(Dad)I'm sure he will know or have

access to the answer. Shipping & Handling $12.00 to U.S. Insurance is not included and is at your option and reccomended.

Please contact within 10 days of auction's end. I accept Paypal, but prefer money order or cashier's check. Personal checks are fine if you're willing to wait for it to clear. Best Of Luck! Return within 10 days for Bid refund.

Payment Instructions Money orders and Paypal are best. When cleared usually in about 10 days item will be shipped after receipt of a personal check payment, Happy bidding and good luck to you all.

Add $12.00 S &H to U.S. addresses. Others will be informed after the auction.

At your own risk you can send carefully hidden cash.

1007279-i-1.jpg.fed1e9f27bc4138b785b358bcff90bed.jpg

Yes, Jerry Bails(who started Alter Ego) handed it down to his son, who sold in on eBay with a BIN of 18K - it actually sat on eBay for several hours before the BIN was hit because no one was really sure that the auction was legit. The BIN price was high enough that it could've been, but low enough that it might not have been. It turned out that it WAS legit, and everyone who saw it previously was kicking themselves for not buying it. From my understanding, it was in the Bails family for a LONG time. Apparently, after the BIN was hit and it was confirmed to be legit, people e-mailed Bails' son with higher offers to sell it to them instead, but Bails was ethical and sold it to the legitimate buyer(which should add clarification to #2 from spider9698s posting).

Another one of those classic "woulda, coulda, shoulda" moments on eBay...

I would say once every few years a truly amazing piece of original art will slip through the cracks on ebay. I remember an original Byrne/Austin page from their X-men run was snatched using a BIN for a ridiculously low price in a matter of a few minutes after the post.

So, Brad/Fred Savage posts an image of a cover. Because the art is on a couch and the he owns the couch, he owned the art at one time. Then 'clickhere' posts the auction as it originally appeared on ebay. Which includes the same image, the same couch.

Because, if you are going to run an auction on ebay with an $18,000 piece of art you are probably going to use a crappy, low dpi image supplied to you years and years ago by the fella that previously owned the piece. Or, when you bought the piece years and years ago, a photo was included with the art. That photo included the prevous owners couch. So, would you scan that photo? 100% of the time you would take your own picture. Of your own couch.