• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whai is your favorite "What If?" story?

43 posts in this topic

I don't have a single favorite -- I liked several of the early ones, including #1 (if Spidey joined the FF), and what if someone other that Peter Parker had been Spider-Man, if the Avengers had never been, if the FF had different powers, etc. But the quality of each issue seemed to vary a lot -- probably because the creative teams changed.

The thing that struck me as a kid reading the series was how many stories ended up with somebody dying. A very pessimistic series, really.

When Marvel published the Ruins mini-series, it reminded me a lot of a nightmare What If story.

I don't have a single favorite -- I liked several of the early ones.... But the quality of each issue seemed to vary a lot -- probably because the creative teams changed.

Same here, I don't have a single favorite issue. It's one of my all-time favorite titles, and I'm trying to get a full run of both volumes, although I greatly prefer volume 1. Definitely agree with the variance in quality. I think I just love the concept, regardless of the subject matter. I've read and enjoyed the Thor & Conan issues, and I've never been a fan, reader, or collector of any of their titles at all.

The thing that struck me as a kid reading the series was how many stories ended up with somebody dying. A very pessimistic series, really.

True, but I think that was the draw for me. In the real world, the good guys can't always win and save themselves, each other, and/or the world. "What If" was a title where they could explore that, and it was insulated from the normal Marvel Universe since it only lasted for one issue.

The hulk What If is my personal favorite. The cover is totally underated and the interior art I think is done by Zeck, if not Zeck its pretty good - Love the scene with Thor taking Hulks head in his hands and....

If this cover art went for sale it'd do well especially as a painting (?)