• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Rocky and His Fiendish Friends 1 (scans)
2 2

7 posts in this topic

You can see this book has been well-loved and well-read, another of my childhood copies - I was learning to read on this book. Trying to get ideas of grade and learn more about grading... Hope it's ok if I list what I see and take a stab at a grade, and then people can tell me why I'm wrong, what I missed, etc.? Thanks in advance!

Here's what I think: Obviously corner chip missing from top front left, veritcal color breaking crease down the spine, horizontal spine creases, bent corners on right top and bottom, some other creases (thumb creases?) on cover. Back has the same spine creases, cover creases, corner issues and a vertical crease halfway up the middle of the book. Pages are white to off-white?

Color is good though, covers are intact (minus the top left chip) - it's a card stock cover so it shows the wear a bit more. Also, does age matter in a grade - is it more lenient on older books compared to a brand-new release book? It's from 1962, so being a 60 year old book it doesn't look terrible in my opinion... But I'd say 1.5-2.0?? Too harsh? Not harsh enough?

rocky friends 1 FRONT.jpg

rocky friends 1 FRONT top left.jpg

rocky friends 1 FRONT spine.jpg

rocky friends 1 FRONT bottom left.jpg

rocky friends 1 FRONT top right.jpg

rocky friends 1 FRONT bottom right.jpg

rocky friends 1 BACK.jpg

rocky friends 1 BACK top left.jpg

rocky friends 1 BACK bottom left.jpg

rocky friends 1 BACK top right.jpg

rocky friends 1 BACK spine.jpg

rocky friends 1 BACK bottom right.jpg

IMG_1714.JPG

I think you are being a bit harsh. It has a length wide colour breaking crease, so automatically we start at 4.0 and look if there are other defects. There's the obvious corner, so I would deduct another point. Now we are at 3.0. But beyond that, the other issues are all acceptable at those grades mentioned and don't make it worse. I am assuming the centrefold is well attached, as is the cover. So I would say 3.0. 

That's a super cute book by the way, love that art!

Oh and to answer your question while there may be some evidence that there may be leniency towards age, it's really not a sure thing. For every example of leniency, I find an example of really tough grading. Same as any other era. So I would say that it's best to judge every era uniformally. Especially since grading is all about looking at the wear and tear. Check this book for example:

I think where people get mixed up is that flaws not brought upon by use of a comic (so like bindery defects, problems with colour, corner chipping, manufacturing tears and creases) are not judged as harshly and these manufacturing defects are more common in older books. But it's still the same rules.

49 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

This is an amazing answer, thanks very much! I appreciate the time you put into it - I'm really trying to learn what goes into the grading process. This is super helpful!

I am very happy to help. I would say the best tool for grading would be the overstreet grading guide https://www.amazon.ca/Overstreet-Guide-Grading-Comics-2016/dp/1603601996/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=overstreet+grading+guide&qid=1597729696&sr=8-1

That's how I learnt and it's the guide that the biggest dealers adhere to (or claim to adhere to).