• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors Only--Spider-Man! OK, Anyone Can Enter Here...

25 posts in this topic

i'm mostly focused on amazing spider-man + annuals with the ocasionals peter parker vol.1

right now i've got almost completed n°100-current (only missing a couple of less expensive ones - yeah i've got 100-102, 121, 122, 129, 135, 136, 300 thank God!!!) a very small chunck are solid mid grade, the big majority all high grades RAW (because i love to read them)

now i'm working the below n°100.

n°50 to 100 is almost complete, below n°50 i'm still missing half of it and of course the most expensive ones tonofbricks.gif

cloud9.gifanyway i'm super happy with my coll. cloud9.gif

regards

Spidey has been a reading and collecting staple of mine for a long time. I still have my OO runs of ASM from 101-260, MTU from 7-50, and the first few issues of PPSSM. Mainly from flea markets and ads in The Buyers Guide, as it was known back in the seventies, I acquired a number of back issue reader copies. When I got back into collecting in the early '90s, I completed the MTU and acquired ASM from 2-100, in as nice grades as I felt I could afford.

I'd especially recommend that anyone missing the earliest ASM books look for early issues of Marvel Tales, which reprinted essentially the entire Ditko and early Romita runs. Just terrific stories and characters.

Initially I collected the first 50 or so Amazing Spider-Man stories in Marvel Tales. After doing this I felt that it would be irresponsible to go after the original issues because of the expense combined with the fact that I already had the stories. Years later I found myself the recipient of a gift of Amazing Fantasy #15 and I began to acquire, slowly, the first hundred Amazing Spider-Mans.

I have found that while the ASM comics cost more than the other Marvel Silver Ages, in lower grades, good mostly, they don't set me back too far. At this point I have only 2 of the first 10 but aside from that I need only 12, 13, 23, 59 and two of the drug issues in the 90's. I have saved up for #1 and have been bidding without success yet, on Ebay. Maybe I will get lucky tomorrow. (To a comic fan "getting lucky" means winning an Ebay auction). Recently I have designed logos for two companies as "favours". The limited exchange will be ASM's 2 and 3.

Most of the issues I have are in good. I am very satisfied with the prices I have gotten at comic conventions, Ebay and some comic stores. A local comic store, Paradise Comics is very reasonable. I was just in San Luis Obispo where I purchased 5 issues at "Captain Nemo's".

The most I have paid so far is $118 for issue #14 in about good condition. Issues #5 (CGC'd) and #7, again both in good cost just about $80 each. I paid no more than $35 for any of the other Ditko issues and I have been able to find some of them for about $10. Patience has been my primary virtue in making this collection.

I have been collecting ASM's for the past four years and just concentrating on the first 300 of which for now are first and key issues.I don't have deep pockets so I only go for VF for silvers and vf/nm and higher for bronzes issues.