• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth Buying Signed Comics?
1 1

51 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, William-James88 said:

Wondering if I should feel insulted now. It's one thing when I talk about myself, but to hear it from someone else.... just messing.

Yeah, it's not just high end, they won't say no to more money.

You even get stuff like this:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/bronze-to-modern-age-miscellaneous-comics-long-box-group-various-publishers-1970s-2000s-condition-average-vg-fn/a/122026-19362.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

I swear so many comic books I don't even know about, I've currently been focusing on the newer stuff but I know Ill eventually venture into GA and SA

1 hour ago, Nightwingsbutler said:

Yeah I couldn't believe it, he knows I've been getting into comics and randomly handed me a gift and I opened it and it was the comic, he said "it was rated a 9.8 and had someones first appearance (Punchline) so I thought you'd like it" I was so excited, it was amazing

My dad did the same thing for me and they'll always be two of the best books in my collection.

7 minutes ago, Nightwingsbutler said:

I swear eBay is the best

You gotta be careful with eBay.  Hopefully the seller isn't a scammer.  Hopefully the books are shipped well packaged.  Hopefully you don't fall into a trap of trying to overpay for a book.

6 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

My dad did the same thing for me and they'll always be two of the best books in my collection.

You gotta be careful with eBay.  Hopefully the seller isn't a scammer.  Hopefully the books are shipped well packaged.  Hopefully you don't fall into a trap of trying to overpay for a book.

Yeah I will definitely hold this one close to me! And yeah I always look out for the ratings of the shops whose comics I'm looking at, have to be extremely careful, I have been using Facebook, eBay, and other websites for clothing and sneakers (same idea) for purchasing for years, always have to be careful about sellers

12 minutes ago, Nightwingsbutler said:

I swear so many comic books I don't even know about, I've currently been focusing on the newer stuff but I know Ill eventually venture into GA and SA

Here's one I bet you didn't know about. It's a comic I really want but just can't bring myself to spend this much on.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?IID=8112091

12 minutes ago, Nightwingsbutler said:

Some day I hope to have some of the older comics of Spider-man, Batman, Superman, Shazam, etc

What I recomend is you attack those first since they will likely go up faster in price than modern books which tend to vary a lot. A really hot modern comic can plummet in price later when something else comes along attracting money from speculators, who then sell off the stuff that is cooling down. So a book like walking dead 1, could actually lose money overtime. And you could wait 4 years to save $1000 while your silver age books go up $1000. 

I mean, check this history of Walking Dead 1 prices (I write more after the pic)

image.thumb.png.7f8dc43e3034f97cbd1425c1aa1e042d.png

Knowing this, what I did is get the silver age books first. My favourite Marvel characters were Doctor Doom and Daredevil so I bought their first appearances, whatever I could afford at the time. Now the comics are worth a lot more, but what I am most happy about is that I don't have to spend the higher amount they are worth now to have them in my collection. And now I can buy books that went down in price like the first appearance of Elektra (or death of Elektra).

Oh and after having been burnt too many times on e-bay, I just gave up on it. Especially with the added obstacle of me being in a country foreign to the US (even though we are neighbours), it just because too much of a hassle when something went wrong. With golden age books, there are a ton of extra things to worry about, like restoration and replaced staples, and centrefolds that come from other books and on and on that I just can't trust a random person on e-bay. If it's worth my while, odds are it is offered through a more esteemed channel.

11 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Knowing this, what I did is get the silver age books first. My favourite Marvel characters were Doctor Doom and Daredevil so I bought their first appearances, whatever I could afford at the time. Now the comics are worth a lot more, but what I am most happy about is that I don't have to spend the higher amount they are worth now to have them in my collection. And now I can buy books that went down in price like the first appearance of Elektra (or death of Elektra).

I didn't actively do this, I just lucked out by buying the right book at the right time, but I picked up an FF#48 several years ago and the book has gone up 4x since then.  The difference between a Silver Age key and a Modern key is 40-60 years of time proving longevity of a character.  There's no telling whether or not anyone will care about Rick's 1st appearance 40 years from now.  Doom and Silver Surfer on the other hand have been consistently popular through the years so the likelihood of them still being relevant to readers in 2070 seem good.

2 hours ago, Jimmy11 said:

Here's a great example of the kind of problems you're going to encounter in the comic world. Many would agree that Punchline's first appearance is in Hell Arisen #3 and not that Batman book.

Comics can get very complicated, you should buy what you enjoy reading first.

There's a separate thread that discussed this.  It makes my head spin trying to figure out "first in shadow", "first cameo", "first full appearance" these days.  Needless to say, I went out and bought Batman #92 since that is the first full appearance.  I don't expect it to be valuable and I don't care much about the character, but for $2.99 (or whatever the cover price was) I might as well have a small slice of a characters history.  In the end, buy what you enjoy and you can't go wrong.

11 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Here's one I bet you didn't know about. It's a comic I really want but just can't bring myself to spend this much on.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?IID=8112091

What I recomend is you attack those first since they will likely go up faster in price than modern books which tend to vary a lot. A really hot modern comic can plummet in price later when something else comes along attracting money from speculators, who then sell off the stuff that is cooling down. So a book like walking dead 1, could actually lose money overtime. And you could wait 4 years to save $1000 while your silver age books go up $1000. 

I mean, check this history of Walking Dead 1 prices (I write more after the pic)

image.thumb.png.7f8dc43e3034f97cbd1425c1aa1e042d.png

Oh and after having been burnt too many times on e-bay, I just gave up on it. Especially with the added obstacle of me being in a country foreign to the US (even though we are neighbours), it just because too much of a hassle when something went wrong. With golden age books, there are a ton of extra things to worry about, like restoration and replaced staples, and centrefolds that come from other books and on and on that I just can't trust a random person on e-bay. If it's worth my while, odds are it is offered through a more esteemed channel.

You’re right I haven’t seen that comic before! Price is steep for better condition no surprise, really cool one though! 
I’ll certainly be careful around eBay, I’ve been looking into other sites and auctions as well

3 hours ago, Jimmy11 said:

Here's a great example of the kind of problems you're going to encounter in the comic world. Many would agree that Punchline's first appearance is in Hell Arisen #3 and not that Batman book.

Comics can get very complicated, you should buy what you enjoy reading first.

CGC states that it’s her first appearance by cameo and her face is not included (I read the digital copy and noticed it). My dad was just doing something nice for me, I didn’t know he was doing it and he went out of his way, so even if it’s technically not her “first real appearance” I don’t care because my Dad saw it, thought I’d like it, and bought it for me. Has sentimental value now

29 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I didn't actively do this, I just lucked out by buying the right book at the right time, but I picked up an FF#48 several years ago and the book has gone up 4x since then.  The difference between a Silver Age key and a Modern key is 40-60 years of time proving longevity of a character.  There's no telling whether or not anyone will care about Rick's 1st appearance 40 years from now.  Doom and Silver Surfer on the other hand have been consistently popular through the years so the likelihood of them still being relevant to readers in 2070 seem good.

There's a separate thread that discussed this.  It makes my head spin trying to figure out "first in shadow", "first cameo", "first full appearance" these days.  Needless to say, I went out and bought Batman #92 since that is the first full appearance.  I don't expect it to be valuable and I don't care much about the character, but for $2.99 (or whatever the cover price was) I might as well have a small slice of a characters history.  In the end, buy what you enjoy and you can't go wrong.

There are some really cool variant covers for Batman #92, and I agree that having a first full appearance of a new character is really cool, I recently bought Secret Wars #8 (my first bigger purchase) which is the origin of the symbiote which is super cool to me, my local shop had Amazing Spider-Man 252 when I was there a few weeks ago, I contemplated buying it but the condition wasn’t the best so I passed on it but seeing it was pretty cool! 

That same day I ended up purchasing Batman #657 (first Damian in Robin costume) as well as Batman #2 2011 (first Talon appearance) and Batman #3 2011 (first whisper gang appearance & first cameo appearance of the court of owls). Really happy to have these in my collection especially with the rumors of the court of owls appearing in the upcoming Batman trilogy! They’re in spectacular condition, personally believe they could fetch a 9.6-9.8 easily from CGC