• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Modern book with spine split
2 2

10 posts in this topic

I recently dropped off a book at my lcs to be graded. My question pertains to spinde split and how it will affect a grade if at all. It peels off the spine near the center. Sorry for the low res cell phone pics and I dont have any more photos of it.

There is also some corner blunting top and bottom, again not sure if thats a manufacturer defect or from shipping. Here are a few photos.

20200928_151333.jpg

20200928_151423.jpg

20200928_151413.jpg

20200928_151437.jpg

20200928_151433.jpg

20200928_151456.jpg

20200928_151442.jpg

Edited by tylerindo
title change

2 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

The corners are fine, you'll see 9.6/9.8 with those corners often...as far as the "spine split" I can't really see anything like that so, can't really comment on that

All true!

Better pics will help, as it’s hard to make out with the current pics

a one inch tear, imo, will drop the book to or below an 8.0

Adjust the grade slightly higher or lower based on the 1 inch tear measuring stick

Really hard to even seen the spine split...so in the middle of the spine between the two staples, the cover has split apart? Like when you open the comic, there is a huge slit you can see through along the spine?

If that is the case, I have a hard time justifying higher than a 5.0. with 4.0 being a good starting point. A truly split spine is a defect that gets hammered, especially for a "modern" book.