• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clive Barker's NIGHTBREED show (TBD)
1 1

8 posts in this topic

’Tis the season for spooky horror flicks and television shows. A few years back, news broke that Clive Barker was working on a reboot series of his horror fantasy movie Nightbreed. At long last, his project has found a director. Trick ’r Treat filmmaker Michael Dougherty, also known for Krampus and Godzilla: King of the Monsters, will helm the show. The announcement was made by Barker himself in a recent interview with Coming Soon.

The 1990 film is based on Barker's own novel, Cabal. It follows the story of Aaron Boone (Craig Sheffer), a mentally-unstable man who is led to believe he is a serial killer. He believes he must escape from the police, and his efforts lead him to an abandoned graveyard. There, he finds a tribe of monsters known as the Nightbreed, who are banished from the rest of humanity. Upon its release, Nightbreed failed both critically and commercially. Since then, it has gone on to achieve cult status, prompting a reboot.

It will be a while before this Nightbreed series comes to fruition, as Barker is still working on the bible for the series’ intricate fantasy world. However, Barker has a few other irons in the fire right now. There’s the long-awaited Candyman sequel, which has been pushed to 2021 due to coronavirus. He also co-wrote the anthology film Books of Blood with writer-director Brannon Braga. Books of Blood premieres on Hulu on October 7.

17 minutes ago, piper said:

I remember reading this book back in High School or 1st year University.  What a crazy novel!

I had a 1st edition of Cabal signed by Clive Barker. Unfortunately, lost it in a house flood. But I do have the Theatrical Cut and DIrector's Cut of the film.

Nightbreed01.thumb.PNG.a9259f9583011548e92da463f95cbd15.PNG

12 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I had a 1st edition of Cabal signed by Clive Barker. Unfortunately, lost it in a house flood. But I do have the Theatrical Cut and DIrector's Cut of the film.

Nightbreed01.thumb.PNG.a9259f9583011548e92da463f95cbd15.PNG

How was the movie?

Clive Barker's Cabal was previously brought to life as the feature film Nightbreed, but the ambitious and fantastical nature of the source material made for a difficult translation into a theatrical outing, with the concept now being developed as a TV series. Spiral: From the Book of Saw co-writer Josh Stolberg is one of the writers on the new TV series and, while he can't divulge many details about the project quite yet, recently shared just how excited he was to tackle the project, which has Godzilla: King of the Monsters director Michael Dougherty attached to helm. Spiral: From the Book of Saw is in theaters now and hits PVOD on June 1st.

"I can't say much about that, what I will say, is it's in Michael's hands right now and we're really excited about the future of it," Stolberg detailed to ComicBook.com. "I'm a gigantic Clive Barker fan, we played around for a while on Weaveworld, as well, and there's nothing that he can't do. I'm really excited for both of those projects to find a home."

When the project was initially announced back in 2018, it was described as exploring "race relations in America, only the races are Humans and Monsters. It follows a group of underground half-human/half-monsters seeking to find a new refuge and home after their original hiding place is destroyed. Leading these efforts is a recently turned reluctant hero who not only is adjusting to his new supernatural status but also is dealing with the grief and mystery surrounding the death of his fiancée. Will this group band together despite being hunted and persecuted by humans who find their 'otherness' to be frightening?"