• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHE-HULK # 1 COVER ART -- RUINED ?

100 posts in this topic

solar. looks like mama is wrong again. 27_laughing.gif sorry but seriously you can,t belive that coloring a page of comic art will bring the value up of that page, it will never happen. only someone who knows nothing about original comic art would buy an page colored and pay over market value for it.

No, I think mama is right (whatever the heck that means). It seams people almost have moral qualms over this issue. If the owner wants to color a page, they can color the page. If someone wants to pay more for a colored page, they can do that too. It doesnt make them ignorant of the comic art market.

Generally, coloring a page is a bad financial move if you plan to resell. However, I would bet cold cash that those SSOC pages would bring more $$ than the same pages uncolored.

solar. looks like mama is wrong again. 27_laughing.gif sorry but seriously you can,t belive that coloring a page of comic art will bring the value up of that page, it will never happen. only someone who knows nothing about original comic art would buy an page colored and pay over market value for it.

No, I think mama is right (whatever the heck that means). It seams people almost have moral qualms over this issue. If the owner wants to color a page, they can color the page. If someone wants to pay more for a colored page, they can do that too. It doesnt make them ignorant of the comic art market.

Generally, coloring a page is a bad financial move if you plan to resell. However, I would bet cold cash that those SSOC pages would bring more $$ than the same pages uncolored.

YES. It is a moral issue. When a 3rd party with no connection to the art's creation decides he wants to "Add something",..IT IS MUTILATION.

Does the owner have the rLEGAL right, ? Yes,...but it is still MUTILATION.

You comic guys find trimming a comic to be a violent act,..and that act is not even an affront to the artist,..SO IT BLOWS MY MIND,..that guys like Delicatessen encourage the subversion of the artists will and this is not obviously apparent as WRONG.

IT IS MORALLY WRONG.

IT IS AESTHETICALLY WRONG.

solar. mama is wrong again. is a quote from the movie. water boy with adam sandler pretty funny if you have not seen it.

anyway as far as your betting cash that a color conan page sells more that a black & white conan page. well unless it matt murdock your selling it to.

i think you will lose your bet. if you had the very next page from the same conan issue. and left it uncolored. and tried to sell both pages to a veteran collector. what make you think he going to pay you more for the color page than the un- colored page.

would you pay more than market value of a nothing page just because it was colored. ?

larry

Chill man. Like I said in my first post, for the most part, I don't reccomend or encourage coloring original art, but it's the owner's perogative. Not mine, not yours.

Even if it is mutilation, there's still nothing wrong with it. The mutilation people is ethically and morraly wrong (well.....usually insane.gif). Mutillating your own comic books and art, while often sickening, disturbing, and horribly sad, is probably not going to going to get you significant jail time.

If I want to go and burn my whole friggin original art collection right now, there's ABSOLUTELY NOTHING MORALLY WRONG WITH THAT (since we're typing in caps now). It may be a really stupid decision, but it's my decision.

This is just silly.

solar. mama is wrong again. is a quote from the movie. water boy with adam sandler pretty funny if you have not seen it.

anyway as far as your betting cash that a color conan page sells more that a black & white conan page. well unless it matt murdock your selling it to.

i think you will lose your bet. if you had the very next page from the same conan issue. and left it uncolored. and tried to sell both pages to a veteran collector. what make you think he going to pay you more for the color page than the un- colored page.

would you pay more than market value of a nothing page just because it was colored. ?

larry

Guess there's no way to tell with no one auctioning any at the moment, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

To answer your question: Yes, if the coloring made the nothing page into a "something" page. Those SSOC pages are really eye catching and would look great framed on my wall. Not so much in B&W.

Chill man. Like I said in my first post, for the most part, I don't reccomend or encourage coloring original art, but it's the owner's perogative. Not mine, not yours.

Even if it is mutilation, there's still nothing wrong with it. The mutilation people is ethically and morraly wrong (well.....usually insane.gif). Mutillating your own comic books and art, while often sickening, disturbing, and horribly sad, is probably not going to going to get you significant jail time.

If I want to go and burn my whole friggin original art collection right now, there's ABSOLUTELY NOTHING MORALLY WRONG WITH THAT (since we're typing in caps now). It may be a really stupid decision, but it's my decision.

This is just silly.

Whats silly ? The discussion ? If you dont want to partake,..well find another thread. I dont find anything particularly silly about this thread.

And as I NOTED yes,..a owner has the legal right to do with their property as they desire,....but ethically it is wrong to desecrate an artists art.

So when you say "there's nothing wrong with it [mutilation]",..I have to disagree,..and I view Delicatessen's "thoughts" on the matter similarly.

Questions of RIGHT AND WRONG,..are at root an analsyis of what one OUGHT TO DO !!!!

ONE OUGHT NOT MUTILATE AN ARTISTS ART,...IT IS WRONG !

solar. iam a very cool.person. ;] iam not trying to start a feud or something.

there nothing silly about people speaking there mind. as long as it positive and not negative. your totally right. what ever you or anyone may want to do with there personal property is your / there right.

and there is nothing i or anyone can say about that. the she-hulk cover . is a done deal and there is nothing anyone can do about it or any other page that has already been colored. but gripe and moan about.

i guess today everybody had a lil extra time on there hands to get all vocal on a touchie subject. so live and be well my friend. no harm no foul.

peace. larry

I'm not sure I really get this defacement business. The finished product consists of pencil, ink, colour and letters. It just so happens that as part of the production process, the colour is added separately. But supposing it wasn't. If comics could somehow be printed with the colourist working directly on the OA. This wouldn't be defacement, it would be part of the production process.

You might as well say that the inker has defaced the pencillers work (I'm sure many pencillers already think this grin.gif).

This is absurd ! - people are arguing over whether or not the art is better colored or left in b&w. then it becomes a personal attack and to argue over which is better is like trying to tell someone that they should like Coke more than Pepsi. it's a simple fact that some collectors are okay with it, some aren't. but to sit here and continue to assualt one another over this and to flaunt resumes or art collections as proof that one person is right and the other isn't is childish. The same people that stand on their soapbox and talk about how mature they are and how the others are being ignorant, childish or whatever is merely showing their immaturity.

If you have an opinion and want to offer it, that's fine. that's why this forum is here. Debate is healthy. But to resort to the nonsense that used to be on here back in the days of YOU-KNOW-WHO , then we are better off not being on here.

I really can't understand why people like to get into argurements with KK when he clearly wants a reaction..... sign-rantpost.gif

solar. iam a very cool.person. ;] iam not trying to start a feud or something.

there nothing silly about people speaking there mind. as long as it positive and not negative. your totally right. what ever you or anyone may want to do with there personal property is your / there right.

and there is nothing i or anyone can say about that. the she-hulk cover . is a done deal and there is nothing anyone can do about it or any other page that has already been colored. but gripe and moan about.

i guess today everybody had a lil extra time on there hands to get all vocal on a touchie subject. so live and be well my friend. no harm no foul.

peace. larry

lol You seem very cool Larry. My first post is responding to KK. My second one is to you. flowerred.gif

With all this fuss over an OBVIOUS recreation/unused version of the cover, nobody seemed to care about this guy purposely having this ACTUAL cover colored by an "unknown" artist.

ms. marvel 16

I care! I was watching this one- and would have paid double if it had not been mutilated. As it is... I wouldn't give more than 300 or 400 bucks for it. It looks like s**t! If you have something colored be prepared to lose all of your money and any future potential gain that you or your family could have seen mad.gif.

AGREED! My heart just broke when I saw this. He has been trying to sell it for some time, unsucessfully!

When he pulls his head out, and the price gets down to $350 I may buy... but don't quote me. DF p.s. I'm actively looking for black and white Ms. Marvel covers if anyone has one for sale. Will gladly pay 3 to 5k for the right one!!