• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Flipper King

33 posts in this topic

Hey! Isn't Hulk 180 TECHNICALLY the first ever appearance of Wolverine since he's in that one single panel on the very last page?

Absolutley. It IS the first ever appearance of Wolvie and it accounts for how much we have seen that particular book bring. But beyond, as Supa specified, that ios a "cameo" appearance. There is also something called "the first full appearance". And these are what have the most value.

Now a question for all the folks here - I have never read 181. How IS it story-wise/art-wise? And how much credence does it lend to Wolverine? Was it apparant from this first full appearance that something special was happening?

I have never read 181. How IS it story-wise/art-wise?

CrapOLLA, CrapOLLA, CRAPOLLA!

No offense to anyone here who may love it, but the contents of this issue are total [!@#%^&^]. The book may very well be the most important of the bronze age, but all I can say about the interior is CRAPOLLA! I think this book found its true home within a slab. grin.gif

It's all relative. That issue may be one of the better ones of that Hulk era, but to say it's a good comic overall? Sorry, can't do it.

Well, Hulk 181 was a pretty good debut (if you discount the horrid Trimpe art), and Wolvie did get to hammer way on both the Hulk and Wendigo, and did hint at some of the promise the character who later show. You also gotta love the little animal-man getting caged up and carted away in #182. grin.gif

But I'll state for the record that Byrne made Wolverine into a popular franchise, and in interviews at the time, Claremont is in agreement. They're both Canucks (or were?) and as I remember Byrne stating somewhere, he "took him under his wing" and tried to place Wolvie in interesting situations and play off his strengths.

Without Claremont changing the initial design of "adamantium gloves" and making the claws part of Wolvie's hands (X-Men #98 - a key issue in Wolvie's transformation) and later giving him an adamantium skeleton (X-men 126?) and then later a healing factor (issue?), old Logan would likely still be a second-stringer on the X-Men.

On that note, anyone know when it was revealed that Wolvie has a healing factor? I know there were hints starting around #115 or so, but when was it stated definitively?

I think it all depends upon perspective. I read these books (180-181) years ago when they were relatively new. I was young at the time. so the idea of a flesh eating abomidable snowman and his hot looking sis with a viking fetish was cool to me. and the art, while nothing spectacular, was as good as most of the other stuff (average then i guess). Wolverine showed his spunk and heart, getting tossed around by two giants and holding his own pretty well. these are the memories i have for reading this about 20+ years ago. now i am sure if I read it today I would probably think it was not too good as we have been kind of spoiled with much more adept writing and complex art and that is what we expect now. but compared to other books in its time, yea i guess you could say wolverine had a quality. I remember a panel where he gets mashed into a tree or a rock and at the time he is bound in chains, upon impact he breaks free and is ready to go again. kind of a hardass. but keep it in perspective. another of my faves was iron fist and i remember 14 for the whole steel serpent thing as much as for sabretooth. nowadays, the actual sabretooth menace was pretty weak, and a guy who drained your strength from a power hug? sounds like an evil DR PHIL. but again we are a bit more refined and i think it is the impressions and not the specifics which make these two books good.

so the idea of a flesh eating abomidable snowman and his hot looking sis with a viking fetish was cool to me

Yow! I don;t know why but this idea absolutely NEVER crossed my mind - well -at least in relation to 181.

Maybe I can find a dealer at Wondercon I know who will let me read it!