• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions on coverless Batman 37

12 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I’m new to CGC and grading comics. I’m in possession of a Batman 37. It is in decent shape, has all the pages, no rips, but.......it’s missing the cover. I’ve seen one could buy a replica cover. I think that is the direction I wish to go with it as that will help it present and display better. 

How does one go about getting this kind of restoration done? Is it expensive? I understand I’ll get the purple label how will this effect the grade? Does it hurt the value? I’ve seen ones without the cover with a $200 asking price. I figured adding it will only help. 

Thanks in advance any advice / info is helpful. 

Jonezer

Welcome!

Reproduction covers are common for coverless books, especially in the golden age community. You can simply print out a scan of the front ocver nad use it for display or pay someone to make you one by request. Batman 37 is actually quite common in coverless shape it appears. I have owned 2 copies, 1 coverless and one with a cover. This week 3 copies have been listed on ebay, 2 sold. Roughly $55 each. 

I would advise you to aquire a reproduction cover is you desrire to keep or sell the book as there really is no harm to having one. 

On 10/26/2020 at 6:56 PM, Jonezer said:

Hello, 

I’m new to CGC and grading comics. I’m in possession of a Batman 37. It is in decent shape, has all the pages, no rips, but.......it’s missing the cover. I’ve seen one could buy a replica cover. I think that is the direction I wish to go with it as that will help it present and display better. 

How does one go about getting this kind of restoration done? Is it expensive? I understand I’ll get the purple label how will this effect the grade? Does it hurt the value? I’ve seen ones without the cover with a $200 asking price. I figured adding it will only help. 

Thanks in advance any advice / info is helpful. 

Jonezer

A reproduction cover isn’t restoration, since it doesn’t alter the original element of the book in any way. Like any coverless book that has a reproduction cover added, you’ll simply get a CGC blue label NG (no grade) designation. There’s no definitive proof to show that a cover helps a book’s value or hurts it. It’s really dependent on the preference of the potential buyer(s). Some people prefer to see the interior splash page over a fake reprint cover, others like a repro cover on a coverless book to give the allure of having a complete book.

4 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

A reproduction cover isn’t restoration, since it doesn’t alter the original element of the book in any way. Like any coverless book that has a reproduction cover added, you’ll simply get a CGC blue label NG (no grade) designation. There’s no definitive proof to show that a cover helps a book’s value or hurts it. It’s really dependent on the preference of the potential buyer(s). Some people prefer to see the interior splash page over a fake reprint cover, others like a repro cover on a coverless book to give the allure of having a complete book.

I have struggled with this question for years with my Tex 27, I go back and forth & think it would be cool to have a complete Tec 27 NG blue with a repro cover but really the big problem is I don't want to send the book back out too CGC as the stress might do me in lol.

28 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

See I would never do that on a book of that magnitude. I definitely feel hiding that Batman splash page with a fake repro cover would likely devalue the book if ever sold. I guess I should have elaborated on that point in my first comment and my feelings there lol. On some general book from any era like a Batman 37, matters less imop. On mega grails though it’s a mistake. I think if you asked almost any collector who’s about to drop potentially over a hundred thousand dollars on an Action 1 or Tec 27, and say $10K-$30K on a Superman 1, Batman 1, Cap 1 or Marvel Comics 1, they would any day prefer to see those beautiful splash pages than a fake repro cover. Just my .02, possible others might disagree.

Yea Iv went both ways a 100 times, I don't know if it impacts the value either way and I lean more towards its a personal preference depending on the collector. 

32 minutes ago, I am not Glenda said:

Yea Iv went both ways a 100 times, I don't know if it impacts the value either way and I lean more towards its a personal preference depending on the collector. 

I’m nearly 100% positive it affected the value of a coverless complete Superman 1 I sold a year or two ago. My copy went for $12K and had a repro cover on it. A copy without the repro cover sold not long after for around $23K.

Edited by LDarkseid1

Curious. When people put a photocopy cover on a coverless book do they actually attach it with staples or just put it around the book unattached? I would probably do the latter as to not affect the condition of the book as is. I would leave it coverless if getting it slabbed.

Edited by Professor Chaos

2 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Curious. When people put a photocopy cover on a coverless book do they actually attach it with staples or just put it around the book unattached? I would probably do the latter as to not affect the condition of the book as is. I would leave it coverless if getting it slabbed.

They do both. I’ve bought them both ways.

13 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I’m nearly 100% positive it affected the value of a coverless complete Superman 1 I sold a year or two ago. My copy went for $12K and had a repro cover on it. A copy without the repro cover sold not long after for around $23K.

That's very interesting. Huge price difference. Pretty sure the majority get real turned off by repro covers. Gives the impression that the book was compromised and ruined.

On 10/29/2020 at 9:55 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

See I would never do that on a book of that magnitude. I definitely feel hiding that Batman splash page with a fake repro cover would likely devalue the book if ever sold. I guess I should have elaborated on that point in my first comment and my feelings there lol. On some general book from any era like a Batman 37, matters less imop. On mega grails though it’s a mistake. I think if you asked almost any collector who’s about to drop potentially over a hundred thousand dollars on an Action 1 or Tec 27, and say $10K-$30K on a Superman 1, Batman 1, Cap 1 or Marvel Comics 1, they would any day prefer to see those beautiful splash pages than a fake repro cover. Just my .02, possible others might disagree.

Splash all the way!