• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on criteria to use/considerations on whether to Slab or Not - What am I missing?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I appreciate any advice on what I may be missing on the criteria to use/considerations to consider in determining whether to slab/professionally grade a book or not.

1) Reason for slabbing -  (Potentially plan on selling books at some time in future)

2) FMV of the book to be slabbed greater than sell price raw  + Profit desired - cost of slabbing/postage/etc.

3) Book has a raw value of over $100/$200 - Note:  I'm not sure if this is a good rule of thumb or not

4) Potential time to sell a raw vs slabbed book

5) Time required to have graded 

6) Subjective - desire to read/hold/etc. book

7).Potection of book via slab  

8). Key issue?  Note:  I'm not sure if this is a good rule of thumb or not since  2) and 3) is likely a better determination

Thanks in advance for any feedback/advice

Make sure you factor in your potential selling venue.  eBay, auction house, consignment, dealer shows, here on the boards?

they all have pros and cons in terms of realizable prices and fees.

also, possibly taxes

also, possibly geographic considerations.  Like if you’re international you might be in for a host of fees or taxes, or if you live in NYC you can sell for more locally than at your LCS in some other parts of the country.

and possibly the opportunity cost of tying up your money.

5 minutes ago, revat said:

Make sure you factor in your potential selling venue.  eBay, auction house, consignment, dealer shows, here on the boards?

they all have pros and cons in terms of realizable prices and fees.

also, possibly taxes

also, possibly geographic considerations.  Like if you’re international you might be in for a host of fees or taxes, or if you live in NYC you can sell for more locally than at your LCS in some other parts of the country.

and possibly the opportunity cost of tying up your money.

@revat Thank you for the great advice.