• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 238: Insert is cut open but Tattooz remain - blue or green label?

8 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

Apologies in advance if this has already been asked in a different thread - if it has, I couldn't find it. I have an ASM 238 that has an insert attached that has been cut open, but the tattooz are still in the insert. My question is whether CGC would deem this as incomplete (due to part of the insert being missing), or would they give it a blue label (as technically, the tattooz are still included).

Thoughts?

This is a real puzzler because it could be not the original tattooz that someone slid inside to try to increase the value in other words a married tattooz book.

The Tattooz insert was an unsealed envelope containing usually one tattoo; tattoos can be removed from or inserted into the insert without altering the insert.  Thus, there is no way to know whether a tattoo in any given Tattooz insert is original to that insert.  With that being the case, if a Tattooz insert is torn but a tattoo is present, could it not be considered as being the same as a torn page and get a Universal label?

4 hours ago, androolx said:

The Tattooz insert was an unsealed envelope containing usually one tattoo; tattoos can be removed from or inserted into the insert without altering the insert. 

I don’t think this is right? My copies you can’t get the tattooz without ripping the paper wallet. 
ECE8E13D-93AB-46F9-8265-3E8455603682.thumb.jpeg.ac5f223c98c63663042851dd9316cad8.jpeg

2C5BBB7A-A10F-41FF-BE54-1BD8166FDAC0.thumb.jpeg.60a5a4a2b0e014b6ebbd9557435461b5.jpeg

4 hours ago, Garystar said:

I don’t think this is right? My copies you can’t get the tattooz without ripping the paper wallet. 
ECE8E13D-93AB-46F9-8265-3E8455603682.thumb.jpeg.ac5f223c98c63663042851dd9316cad8.jpeg

2C5BBB7A-A10F-41FF-BE54-1BD8166FDAC0.thumb.jpeg.60a5a4a2b0e014b6ebbd9557435461b5.jpeg

I don't want to deviate too much from the OP's original topic, but you did point out an incorrect generalization in my first post.  Thanks for doing that. I should have said the Tattooz insert opening is accessible on most of the inserts; some of the inserts were stapled in such a way that the opening is not accessible.

I just checked 28 books with Tattooz inserts (none of which are ASM 238) and the insert opening is accessible on 26 of them.  I have found a couple books with the insert where the enclosed tattoo is partially outside the insert (see photo).

20201107_075252.jpg

2 hours ago, androolx said:

I should have said the Tattooz insert opening is accessible on most of the inserts; some of the inserts were stapled in such a way that the opening is not accessible.

Just checked my FF#252 and you’re right the wallet is open although the opening is very tight and would be difficult, but not impossible, to get tattooz out without causing damage. 
I wonder if it is completely random or if all copies of spider-man #238 (which my pictures came from) are inaccessible?