• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant's BLOODSHOT 2? (TBD)
1 1

11 posts in this topic

DMG founder and CEO Dan Mintz confirmed plans for a Bloodshot sequel with Vin Diesel reprising his role as the Valiant Entertainment superhero.

The cinematic adaptation of Bloodshot had the misfortune of opening just as movie theaters worldwide shut down in the face of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. However, a sequel is still in the cards.

Released on March 13, with many theater chains shutting down at the start of the following week, DMG Entertainment and Sony's adaptation of the popular Valiant Entertainment superhero was directly impacted by the move. Fortunately, the studios were able to pivot to a home video release within two weeks of Bloodshot's theatrical opening, moving to VOD platforms and streaming. This quick, adaptive shift proved to be a successful strategy for Valiant parent company DMG, with company founder and CEO Dan Mintz confirming plans for a sequel and expectations for Vin Diesel to reprise his role as the eponymous no-nonsense hero.

"I think [Bloodshot] was very successful in that respect, a lot of people saw it and it did very well in the post-release rollout but you can't use the same evaluation process, pre-COVID, to this," Mintz told CBR. "[Are] Vin Diesel and all those people going to still continue? Yes, because it did so well and the response to it has been so well, it's just that the response has been in a non-transparent environment, as opposed to a transparent environment like box office numbers."

Intended to launch a shared cinematic universe featuring Valiant's extensive library of superheroes, Bloodshot starred Diesel as a soldier killed in action, reborn through advanced cybernetics with a whole host of superhuman abilities. Based on the comic book character created by Kevin VanHook, Don Perlin and Bob Layton in 1992, the film earned $33.48 million at the worldwide box office on a reported production budget of $45 million before theater chains were shuttered to prevent the pandemic's spread.

Despite the COVID-related setbacks with Bloodshot's theatrical run, it appears the Valiant Entertainment adaptation was a strong success on digital platforms, available for audiences to stream since March 24 while raising awareness about the character and the wider Valiant Universe. There are currently no details on which cast and crew members will return alongside Diesel or when a planned sequel is expected to premiere.

Weeks after word surfaced a Bloodshot sequel could be in the works, it looks like franchise star Vin Diesel is confirming that's the case. In a post to his Instagram Monday evening, the Guardians of the Galaxy alum mentioned he had plenty of great news to share, being sure to include the Bloodshot hashtag and putting it all along with a still he took from the feature.

Though the movie had box office returns far below average, it debuted right at the onset of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Because it was one of the first blockbusters to go to a video-on-demand route, insiders suggest it might have earned Sony a hefty payday from at-home film buffs.

gatsby01.thumb.JPG.445f0ad315f536522e0acb29e4c142bd.JPG

When we spoke to DMG executive and megaproducer Dan Mintz earlier this year, the filmmaker stopped short of confirming Bloodshot 2 was in development, even though he hinted Diesel was most certainly on board to return to the world. "First of all, he was very passionate about it. I think you saw that in social media," Mintz said at the time. "He understands the power of it and his kids and his family understand it, who gives him a lot of kind of motivation and understanding. So yeah, I think there's a lot of commitment to that."

Even then, the producer added Hollywood was still interested in the Valiant Cinematic Universe as talks with studios and distributors were ongoing for all of the outfit's upcoming projects, including a Quantum & Woody television series.

"There's a lot of wind to its back and it gives confidence to other studios and other partners to really step up and push these things forward," the filmmaker says of the VCU and its future projects. "So, I'm feeling good about all of that, and that rollout to me is very, very clear. It's very, very clear because A, you have two studios rolling stuff out, and then B you also have us rolling things out."

@Gatsby77 :popcorn:

Edited by Bosco685

Valiant Entertainment has provided CBR with an exclusive preview of Bloodshot #10, by Tim Seeley, Brett Booth, Pedro Andreo, Andrew Dalhouse and Dave Sharpe.

Issue #10 marks the start of a new story arc, "One Last Shot." It also features the debut of Wilfred Wigans and KT, who first appeared in Sony Pictures' Bloodshot film adaptation.

"Bloodshot #10 issues in a brand new and mind-blowing arc," senior editor Lysa Hawkins said. "Our long-suffering hero makes new friends, runs into old enemies, and is danger lurking around every corner? Of course! Two popular characters from the Bloodshot movie join the cast as Bloodshot goes for broke in 'One Last Shot!'"

Bloodshot.PNG.ae18b0f82e5f92215f1fec48df8b7cdf.PNG

(shrug)

I mean, it wasn’t good - slightly less enjoyable than Triple Frontier / The Old Guard / 6 Underground.

except those all had endings that made sense and were internally consistent with the universe the film had established. 

On the other hand, this was one of the highest-grossing theatrical releases of the year 🤣 so I get why Diesel would consider a sequel.

22 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

(shrug)

I mean, it wasn’t good - slightly less enjoyable than Triple Frontier / The Old Guard / 6 Underground.

except those all had endings that made sense and were internally consistent with the universe the film had established. 

On the other hand, this was one of the highest-grossing theatrical releases of the year 🤣 so I get why Diesel would consider a sequel.

Don’t get me started on Triple Frontier, that movie had such promise.  I couldn’t wait for it to come out and they dropped the ball. Give me the final cut so I can take away 30 minutes and add 30 and then we got something.

41 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

(shrug)

I recognize at one point you swore it was dead and that even on the Valiantfans site everyone agreed this is dead. It sounds like the post-theater results may have made the different for the studio that we don't have clear visibility to at this time. Other that Bloodshot was ranking in the Top 20 for a while.

I’d still bet on its being dead.

What are we expecting here? A 6-week shoot next fall ahead of a summer 2022 release?

Possibly viable only because Diesel’s announced projects (Guardians 3, Fast/Furious 10 and Riddick 4) are all much bigger & likely delayed due to Covid?

Either way, jumpstarting a wave of Valiant movies /TV projects seems even less likely.

incidentally - the original cover art to Magnus 5 is at auction on Comiclink tonight. Too rich for me ($4,100 last I checked) but the cover to the first Rai is one of my grails...

'Dead' may have taken on a new meaning if the sequel news becomes a reality. Up there with 'Some Dead' and 'Kind of Dead'. :nyah:

It will be interesting to see how (if at all) they work through the Paramount property split. Maybe they figured out a joint venture model based on the MCU franchise approach that originally started with Marvel Studios and Paramount. It's not like Paramount hasn't had to deal with this previously.

3 hours ago, kimik said:

While the movie was weak, I am fine with a sequel. I picked up some more pre-Unity Valiants in a collection in the summer that could use some movie hype behind them. (thumbsu

I pretty much limit my Pre-Unity collecting to Magnus 0 these days - 30+ copies and 4 slabs (9.8, 9.6 x 3).

But then, I also own the world’s best Gold Key Magnus set - 1-46 in average cgc 9.6.

Bloodshot 2: Will the Vin Diesel Movie Ever Release?

Plans are underway for a Bloodshot sequel. Vin Diesel will reportedly return for Bloodshot 2, as confirmed by Dan Mintz, the CEO of DMG Entertainment group. However, that news broke in 2020, and three years later, it seems little progress has been made. Although there were reports of a script reading set to occur this fall, the WGA/SAG strike and Dielsel's other behemoth franchise, Fast and the Furious, seem to have taken up his time recently.

But the surprising headline for Valiant fans is undoubtedly Diesel's return to play the titular character in Bloodshot 2, an unexpected follow-up sequel to the 2020 movie. Yet if the box office returns warranted another comic property film unrelated to DC or Marvel, the question on superhero fanatics' minds is: why the nearly four-year delay?

Valiant started in 1989, and the characters that could play a prominent role in the future Bloodshot 2 release are numerous and include the previously mentioned cult favorites Rai and Ninjak. Yet, as CGI technology proved with the first film, Bloodshot 2 could even handle the strange, otherworldly technology of X-O Manowar (a bizarre cross between Iron Man and Green Lantern – if such a thing could be imagined).