• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Lee Original Art

46 posts in this topic

well theres the question and we're once again down to the " are you a collector or speculator " quiz again wink.gif

I know i'd rather have the art but would guess if i was speculating i would rather have the ASM #2....

Artist of the moment he sure is, and IMO hes definately one of the best, if not *the* best superman artist ever but that kind of money for a 6 month old cover is a bit radio rental to me.....i'm sure someones got the required deep pockets though...and it doesnt take a Economics major to do the logic wink.gif

Cheers,

Wow... 12K for that cover? He's churning out work right now... I can't possibly see how a modern cover from a prolific artist could be worth that much. If Jim Lee isn't the most overpriced artist going right now, I don't know who is.

i don,t know is jim lee is the most overpriced artist today. what i have a problem with is if that cover sold for 12k today. it going to a loooong time before that person will ever make money on that cover.

and who in there right mind today would trade 12k worth of prime art for that cover.

that is what they call on comic art l board . stupid money 12k. meaning you pretty much would be stupid or let just say not too bright in the comic market today. if you bought that cover for 12k

larry ;]

OK, so then why is the woman in shadow in the last panel when she was not in an earlier panel... and Cap is in bright sunlight the whole time?

Because it's comics and comic artists (thankfully) aren't beholden to exact representations of reality and are allowed to use dramatic license on occasion? confused-smiley-013.gif

I wasn't saying whether or not the perspective in those panels is correct, by the way. I was just offering up the opportunity to prove it one way or the other. Personally, when I see someone say something is wrong, I like to see them illustrate exactly what's wrong with it. You can learn a lot from that sort of thing.

Jim wouldn't do a sketch for you at a con first you have to be humble and nice when you ask. all he does at cons is quickie sketches. you are unrealistic you want great expensive stuff but want to pay bargain bin prices. This isn't the 70's and 80's OA is expensive. artist know what they have and around what it should sell for. Even when they are not aware the usually price it for more than it will sell for. so get around 5 hundred bucks together and go to a big con you might be able to pick up some sketches and published pages in artist alley cheap.

When the Batman Hush storyline came out, Albert was selling those covers for 20K+

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Did any actually sell for more than $20K? I thought the RRP cover sold for around $20K but that most of the other covers were priced in the $9K to $12K range. It was a couple of years ago, though, so my memory may be fading a bit.

I bet DAM60 remembers where most of the covers were being sold for...Dave, are you reading this?

And when i see the prices that Lee's stuff goes for, i shake my head in disbelief. I mean, it's

real eye candy and I am about as big Batman fan as anyone, but when i see those numbers for art that came out two months ago, i wonder about the long term potential.

If you take an artist, such as Jack Kirbu with a long track record, with a high nostalgic factor, add in the important facts that he is no longet living, thus not drawing anymore (what's out there is all there is ever going to be), then i can see record prices being realized.

Or take Neal Adams, Frank Frazetta, Alex Ross or any number of illustrators. When you have an artist of that caliber, who has gone mainstream or done maintstream projects, and thus their work is well known (even if people don't know the name of the artist) , then i think that adds value to the piece(s).

Me personally I don't care when the art was done weather it was done 2 days ago or 200 years ago..all comes down to weather I love it or not. I'd spend 10K on a Mcfarlane Spider-Man Cover before I'd spend 10K on a John Romita Spider-Man Cover,that's just me though.

I agree with you.

I would love to own a nice splash from Jim Lee, but the crack prices for his work is ridiculous.

I'm told by Dave that one of the Hush covers was offered to him at $10K and that Albert had said that some earlier ones in the run had sold in the $5K-$8K range. Though, I don't remember what the prices were on the later covers.

Anyway, $12K for a Jim Lee Superman cover that I don't remember seeing the first time around and that nobody will remember 10 years from now...riiiight. yeahok.gif