• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Daze on EBay

100 posts in this topic

With all the whacky happenings on EBay lately, I'm wondering if this is tax-return dollars at work, maybe Wizard's circulation has doubled, or crack use is once again on the rise.

Might be a great time to list some dupe keys and see if the BIN gets nabbed by some coked up newbie with a big gov't check. grin.gif

The movie hype is a major factor IMO. I've sold books that I have been holding onto for this and it paid off. If I had sold these exact same booksa few months back, I would have literally received 40% less than what I got. shocked.gif Marketing Marketing Marketing

Marketing is certainly the key. Sellers all over are using that 1st Wolverine line to sell Hulk #180's at huge prices.

I see there is a 9.4 on ebay at the moment thats already over $500. Almost 5 X guide and counting for a 9.4 bronze book ????

Hey Bru, I'm not slamming Hulk, just amazed at what people will pay for a cameo app.

You know there are plenty of bronze books that I would NEVER slam.

Think IF and MOKF...............MP #15, IF #1 & #14, SME #15

I also am a big fan of the horror stuff and solid keys like TOD #1 (adams cover), TOD #10, MS #2 & WBN #32.

BB, you are just over sensitive when it comes to Hulk books. grin.gif

I can vouch for that.

I think that the right price for a NM Hulk 180 is $500. Just try finding one raw.

Of course not... I just sold my 9.2 with MJ insert for $335. Its just that Hulk 180 deserves more respect than you guys give it... its more relavant than the stupid "cameo" designation it was given.

Does tonight seems like rehash all the old bronze keys everyone like to beat up on... grin.gif

I think I can sum up the dispute quite easily:

To hardcore Wolverine fans, Hulk 180 is a key, but to more general collectors and key-issue hounds, it's kind of a joke.

I'm a "key hound" and not a big Wolverine fan, and I don't consider it a joke. Sure, its not a top tier priority book, but it does have importance. Also, being tough to find in HG adds to its legitimacy, not so much as a key but more in terms of desirability.

No... not all Hulk books... just the repetitive disrespect given to one of my favorites...180. You guys need to find new bronze keys to talk about... we've gone full circle 2X on some of these issues/topics. We could almost cut and paste our exchanges from that Hulk 180 thread a long ways back...

Does anyone have an ungraded 180... do me a favor an read it again with a fresh open mind... and LMK if you're left with the feeling that its a virtually insignificant cameo when you're done. If so, I'll try my best not to defend it anymore. I see something else and with my considerable experience buying and selling this one issue... I've found many that seem to agree. I think 180 is unfairly lumped together with 182 to some degree. I agree that 182 carries the significance some want to apply to 180.

I've never read ASM 50 and 51, but I understand the dynamic is similar. Can anyone that knows these 2 issues well explain why 50 is more desired than 51 (at least as I understand it?) I'm left with the impression from what I do know... that the simple cover appearance on 50 may change the weight the inner cameo carries... explain please? If Hulk 180 had Wolverine on the cover...would it still be just a cameo to you or something more?

BTW.. I think cameo is a weak term that is unfairly expected to define any number of different and unique limited first appearances.

For $500 in high-grade, I call it a joke, especially compared to the true first-app's that can be bought for the same money. I'd put my cash into ASM 129 way ahead of something like Hulk 180.

'nuff said.

I am a bit lost on the cover thing. heres why. uncanny xmen 282 cameo bishop. but he is on the cover. worthless. 283 first appearance of bishop. slightly less worhtless. i agree that both hulk 180 and uncanny 282 are the first appearances and in the case of 180 a bit more than just a cameo as well. part of the story alludes to getting weapon x ready etc. but as no one else sees it that way, i just go with the flow. but the cover thing is a moot point IMHO

Thanks... I'm more interested in ASM 50 & 51. I have not had a chance to read them, but these 2 issues were pointed out to me as being similar to Hulk 180 & 181... So I'm curious why they seem flip-flopped in desire and value. The cover appearance is the only idea I have. I welcome a detailed analysis and comparison of the 2 sets of books.

I'm truly mystified

Actually my point is that plenty of people see it the other way... just not on this forum for the most part. Sometimes this is a closed environment despite being open and its hard to promote a different way of looking at things because the matter has been decided. You understand where I'm coming from to some extent... he was involved in the story/plot and there was a build up to his appearance which left me considering it a bit more dramatic. The panel was nearly half the last page... just seems like a bit more than a cameo for these reasons.

I know I just can't turn off the passion button on certain things smile.gif

Hey, I believe in 180 long term, have a good deal of experience with the book and am convinced its misunderstood and underestimated in part due to the cameo designation that it was given and has stuck. 182 is a cameo, 180 is something more. There needs to be a better selection of terms that refer to "limited first appearances" and the varying levels of impact they have, especially if the character is involved in the story before he appears. I can't think of a solution yet, but I have given it some thought.

I guess sometimes I get tired of hearing why its a POS here at the forum and feel compelled to see it as respected as my experience has proven to me it is. I just ask the doubters to pick it up and read it again with an open mind and if they feel the same fine... but maybe they will agree the appearance is a bit more than 182's.

OK...I'm goin to bed... worn out defending hulk comic booksszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz