• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic with Signature & Certificate of Authenticity

2 posts in this topic

CGC certifies only signatures that they have witnessed*.  CGC will not certify an un-witnessed signature, whether there is a COA or not.  This is because they don't have 100% certainty that the comic book was signed as indicated.  I used to have a Classics Illustrated that was "signed" by Mark Twain, and I printed up a fancy-looking Certificate of Authenticity to demonstrate how easy it is to fake a signature and certificate.  I'm not saying yours is a fake at all. I'm just saying that CGC will certify only things about which they are 100% certain.

If you send the book to be graded, it could get a green (qualified) label indicating what the grade would be without writing on it, or it could be downgraded for the writing on the cover (the same way it would be downgraded if I scribbled my own name on it) and get a blue label.  Either way, you should not send the certificate to CGC because it's not relevant to CGC's grading and it would likely not be returned to you.

*I believe they may also certify signatures that come to them directly from the creator who signed the item, but I'm not 100% certain about that.