• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should the PLOD become a BLUE label?

Should the PLOD become a blue label?  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PLOD become a blue label?

92 posts in this topic

Should the much feared PLOD be changed to a blue label with noted restoration (and degree of restoration clearly explained) on the new blue label?

No, because it will be easier for sellers to scam buyers and try to downplay restoration as a selling point. Same reason I hated getting rid of some of the comments.

How will keeping the label purple prevent them from doing that now, any more than would a huge second restoration score and the big words "RESTORED" on a blue label? It would take the most blind of all the blind collectors not to notice the difference between a book with a restored label with two scores and an unrestored label with only one score -- and anyone that dumb is probably just as easily misled by a seller selling a purple label book. You think someone who doesn't notice "RESTORED" and a huge second score on the label is going to quibble about label color? 27_laughing.gif

No, because it will be easier for sellers to scam buyers and try to downplay restoration as a selling point. Same reason I hated getting rid of some of the comments.

How will keeping the label purple prevent them from doing that now, any more than would a huge second restoration score and the big words "RESTORED" on a blue label? It would take the most blind of all the blind collectors not to notice the difference between a book with a restored label with two scores and an unrestored label with only one score -- and anyone that dumb is probably just as easily misled by a seller selling a purple label book. You think someone who doesn't notice "RESTORED" and a huge second score on the label is going to quibble about label color? 27_laughing.gif

IF ANYONE buys something without careful consideration of what they are purchasing, then they need that bad experience to teach them how to shop!! How careful does CGC need to be? We live in a fairly intelligent society don't we? Oh, I forgot...you can actually buy hot cofee, spill it on yourself, and then sue the company that sold you the coffee and win!! makepoint.gif

I dont care either way. As long as the restored books are clearly marked as restored I do not see how the prices will change. If the Restoration factor were VERY subtle, well MAYBE some might not get th epicture as easily as a big old PLOD... but the concept of labeling restored books differently in an obvious manner was sound, and THAT should not change.

I say yes, as long as it is not a blue "Universal" label and as long as it has a big old "RESTORED" and prominent restoration score separate from the grade on the label.

I actually want them to change the label to red, so it will figuratively and genuinely be a scarlet letter. poke2.gif

I say yes, as long as it is not a blue "Universal" label and as long as it has a big old "RESTORED" and prominent restoration score separate from the grade on the label.

I actually want them to change the label to red, so it will figuratively and genuinely be a scarlet letter. poke2.gif

yay.gif

That's exactly it, as FOR OVER FIVE FREAKING YEARS, CGC has been using the PLOD, and it has now become a well-recognized industry standard.

It's so ingrained with me that I now only look for the label color (I don't buy GA) to determine if I'm bidding on a Blue, Purple or Yellow book. Each is totally different and these colors signify Unrestored, Restored and Signature books to me.

That's the real key here. Buyers aren't stupid or lazy, they have just come to recognize the Purple Label as a RESTORED book. To switch it to Blue this late in the game, you risk buyer confusion and anger, and once again shows that the Dealer/Seller Community is pulling the strings at CGC.

After all, CGC has been doing great so far, so why take the risk?

P.S. This far different than incorporating the Modern label in, as there is no physical difference between a Red Label and Blue Label - no Franken-books allowed in either. 893naughty-thumb.gif

It's so ingrained with me that I now only look for the label color (I don't buy GA) to determine if I'm bidding on a Blue, Purple or Yellow book. Each is totally different and these colors signify Unrestored, Restored and Signature books to me.

But after you determine the label color do you read the label? I'm sure you don't just say "This is a Universal Blue label. That's all I need to know." and plunk down money.

That's the real key here. Buyers aren't stupid or lazy, they have just come to recognize the Purple Label as a RESTORED book.

Which means what, exactly? So far we cannot reach an agreement as to what constitutes restoration. A Purple Label can mean a dot of color on the cover or it can mean piece replacement, largers areas inpainted, tears sealed, splits sealed etc all on the same book. I would rather be forced to read the detail than just look at a label color and say "nah".

I would rather be forced to read the detail than just look at a label color and say "nah".

screwy.gifscrewy.gifscrewy.gif

Seriously dood, time is money, and as I do not buy Restored Books the current format works perfectly for me. I see Purple, and I move on. If CGC made them Blue, then I'd be wasting lots of time examining restored books I'd never buy anyway.

Some people (dealers/sellers) mistakenly believe this bizarre move will cause a total reevaluation of restored book values, and prices will spike once we go to Blue labels, but I only see it creating market confusion and ticking people off.

Collectors/investors refuse to buy Restored Books, not because they do not like the color purple, but because they DO NOT want to buy Restored Books.

much like the winsheild wiper button on a car dosnt say[windsheild wiper anymore]

it shows the picture of the wiper..it is much easier with a color system[blue,purple labels].color systems are used in many fields.take a look at your doctors files .there is beauty in its simplicity..imagen walking through the san diego show

without the blue and purple labels at dealer displays.it will take you 100 times longer to examine them all being blue label.....

much like the winsheild wiper button on a car dosnt say[windsheild wiper anymore]

it shows the picture of the wiper..it is much easier with a color system[blue,purple labels].color systems are used in many fields.take a look at your doctors files .there is beauty in its simplicity..imagen walking through the san diego show

without the blue and purple labels at dealer displays.it will take you 100 times longer to examine them all being blue label.....

Why would it take 100 times longer. Per every 2 restored books there are 100 unrestored CGC graded ones out there. Plus, these two books will have RESTORED written in large bold letters on the label for everyone to see and avoid.

I agree with JC on SA and newer books, but for GA it's a bit more of a problem. For instance, some GA books with a dot of color touch would still receive a blue label, while others will be placed in a purple label even if the restoration is very minor color touch (which may be 2 dots). However, the cost between the two books would be enormous since one has a blue label and the other one doesn't.

what is the better system is the right thing to do i say..how is putting letters better than putting a color? i dont get it....and in regard to restoration at least with goldenage there is a FAR FAR higher degree of resto than you say..even the pedigrees[goldenage] are comming up with one hell of alot of resto.the key books in particular.mile highs,larson etc.lots of those key books are touched up.

Come on,you can tell the truth.its ok. We know the answer.Your[they] are trying to get the stigma of restored books off the table and on more of a par with unrestored books by making everything a blue label.[with big bold letters]..this is all about the stigma associated with restored books and how to lighten it and nothing more.it is certainly not as simple a system as color code and adds complexity..

what is the better system is the right thing to do i say..how is putting letters better than putting a color? i dont get it....and in regard to restoration at least with goldenage there is a FAR FAR higher degree of resto than you say..even the pedigrees[goldenage] are comming up with one hell of alot of resto.the key books in particular.mile highs,larson etc.lots of those key books are touched up.

To be honest with you, even if a compromise was reached and the purple label was kept, I wouldn't mind it as long as a degree of restoration number was still added. Those that don't want to collect restored books can have separate blue vs. purple labels, while everyone else would at least have a numbering system to value restored books. I just don't think it's fair for a book with a 1 restoration to sell as much as one with an 8 restoration.

To be honest with you, even if a compromise was reached and the purple label was kept, I wouldn't mind it as long as a degree of restoration number was still added. Those that don't want to collect restored books can have separate blue vs. purple labels, while everyone else would at least have a numbering system to value restored books. I just don't think it's fair for a book with a 1 restoration to sell as much as one with an 8 restoration.

I agree with this, and I cannot for the life of me, understand why people like FFB continue to talk like the new label format MUST be on Blue. Like it's color-dependent and the new numbers/notes would suddenly be invisible on Purple. screwy.gif

Just make a better label, with numerical ratings for Resto, but leave the color alone. The hobby has accepted this over the 5+ years it's been in use, and there is not one valid reason (other than dealer greed) for changing the color.

Just give us an enhanced Purple label with all the goodies. thumbsup2.gif