• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should the PLOD become a BLUE label?

Should the PLOD become a blue label?  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PLOD become a blue label?

92 posts in this topic

have you ever seen a high grade siler age key with slight resto with a blue label??

I haven;t but that don;t mean they are out there. I could conceive of something loike a Hulk 1 or a JIM 83 etc. getting a blue for a tiny spot of glue. But as I have said, I haven;t seen it in the SA.

Well, slight color touches do get a blue label. Allstar 3 mile high,more fun 52 mile high,the 7.5 action 1 on cgc all have slight work and have blue labels.The question is [how much slight resto] knocks it from blue to purple label..The mile high adventure 40 has slight resto but a purple label for example..What is the borderline of slight resto that knocks it over into a plod is the question with these slight resto books.this is the issue...

Yes, the whole GA thing is just adding mud to the muddle. Not only slight CT can get a Blue but, as I recall, small drop of glue can get a blue. But in SA or later? I would venture these would be purple.

The color touch part does confuse the hell out of me. However, having a bid of glue residue on the cover should not automatically constitute as restoration (even in SA). Maybe someone dropped some glue on the book by accident, or slight residue was left over from a scotch tape pull. Unless the glue is holding a piece of the book together, it should not be considered as resto. However, the book should be downgraded to take the defect into factor.

Unless the glue is holding a piece of the book together, it should not be considered as resto. However, the book should be downgraded to take the defect into factor.

I agree with that 100%. If the glue is doing nothing to help the book, and is just lying on a page or on the cover (inside or out) it, should be treated as any foreign residue that attached itself to the book.

im willing to bet that the mile high all star 3[with slight color touch]in a blue holder,

if the same exact amount of color touch was on a high grade silverage fantastic 4 number 1, it would get a plod. do you agree? my gut tells me im right.

I would be willing to agree. I simply is easier for SA and later to get PLOLDs than GA.

have you ever seen a high grade siler age key with slight resto with a blue label??

No, because the cutoff for resto in blue labels is 1950. No silver age book can have a blue label if it has ANY color touch. I think if there is dried glue on the cover that isn't actually sealing a tear (in other words, it isn't actually restoring anything), it can still get a blue label with notes. I seem to recall seeing exactly one book like this in the history of CGC.

im willing to bet that the mile high all star 3[with slight color touch]in a blue holder,

if the same exact amount of color touch was on a high grade silverage fantastic 4 number 1, it would get a plod. do you agree? my gut tells me im right.

It would unquestionably get a PLOD. CGC doesn't allow color touch in blue labels on books printed after 1950.

No, because the cutoff for resto in blue labels is 1950. No silver age book can have a blue label if it has ANY color touch. I think if there is dried glue on the cover that isn't actually sealing a tear (in other words, it isn't actually restoring anything), it can still get a blue label with notes. I seem to recall seeing exactly one book like this in the history of CGC.

FFB, I know that your comment is directed towards SA books, but here are a couple of GA books I got back from CGC that had some glue residue. Both books seemed to be in 8.0 condition, but were down graded for the glue.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

FFB, I know that your comment is directed towards SA books, but here are a couple of GA books I got back from CGC that had some glue residue. Both books seemed to be in 8.0 condition, but were down graded for the glue.

Could be. confused-smiley-013.gif They sure look nicer than 7.0 to me. But downgrading for the glue on a pre-1950 book isn't what I was talking about. My point was that no book printed after 1950 would get a blue label with color touch, but that I think that a small amount of glue that isn't sealing a tear might still get a blue label with notes on a post-1950 book, with the glue being treated/downgraded as a small stain. I don't remember any book in particular, but something in the back of my mind is telling me that we saw a silver age book in a blue label with a note that there was a small amount of glue on the cover. Maybe it was an FF? I'll run a couple of searches and see if I can find it.

I'm pretty sure Povertyrow doesn't have ulterior motives.

Pov wasn't who I was talking about. gossip.gif But it's interesting that none of the leaders of the movement ever respond to my questions by simply categorically denying that they have restored books in their collection that they haven't submitted because of the PLOD stigma.

Who are you talking about?

Read my post again. gossip.gif

OK, I did, and I still don't know who you're talking about. confused.gif

tth2;

Like FFB here, I also don't know exactly who you are talking about here.

The only person I could think of is Jon Berk since he was the one who originally called for the one-colour label system in association with a 10-point restoration rating system, way back in a column he had written for CBM quite a few years ago. Although Jon is a true leader and carries a lot of real power and influence in the actual marketplace, I don't think he would qualify in this case since he only roams around the GA board. In addition, he tries to avoid controversial topics and has not really brought up this particular issue except for one time when he had posted his CBM article right here on the boards.

For the life of me, I just can't figure out who you are talking about. confused.gif

Can't you just give us a little hint?

tth2;

The only person I could think of is Jon Berk since he was the one who originally called for the one-colour label system in association with a 10-point restoration rating system, way back in a column he had written for CBM quite a few years ago. Although Jon is a true leader and carries a lot of real power and influence in the actual marketplace, I don't think he would qualify in this case since he only roams around the GA board. In addition, he tries to avoid controversial topics and has not really brought up this particular issue except for one time when he had posted his CBM article right here on the boards.

For the life of me, I just can't figure out who you are talking about. confused.gif

Lou, I'll assume you're not just playing coy here. My statement was "There are other fine members of these boards who've been pushing for the restored blue label the whole time I've been here." (emphasis added).

I was talking about you! 27_laughing.gif

P.S.--I noticed you still haven't answered the question I posed to you in another of these blue label PLOD threads.

tth2;

Lou, I'll assume you're not just playing coy here. My statement was "There are other fine members of these boards who've been pushing for the restored blue label the whole time I've been here." (emphasis added).

I was talking about you! 27_laughing.gif

P.S.--I noticed you still haven't answered the question I posed to you in another of these blue label PLOD threads.

He answered it in one of the threads in the Grading and Restoration forum -- he said he doesn't collect restored books. Link -- see Lou's second post on this page.

There's no doubt that something needs to be done regarding more accurate info on Restored books.

I think the Purple and Green should stay, but I wouldn't mind if CGC used a Blue Label for books that had Conservation performed on them that did not effect the overall grade (or even the smallest color touch where the book would still grade the same without it).

Obviously, I want that noted on the label, but is a "tear seal" on a spine split (done professionally of course) a bad thing. Not really. It actually is helping to preserve the book and not done necessarily to make the book appear better than it is (but it might). And as I would say to CGC, grade the book assuming the tear or spine split was still there.