• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Late 50s and Early 60s Harveys - 28 Pages?

7 posts in this topic

I just picked up a Wendy the Good Little Witch 1-3 (1960).  Nice copies.  As I was counting the pages on #1 I was disappointed that it only had 7 interior wraps or 28 pages.  When I counted #2 the same.  #3 the same.  I then started counting the pages on 22 additional copies all from the same period (Spooky, Casper, etc.) and they too had 28 interior pages.  In 45 years of dealing I've never noticed that before.  Can someone confirm that Harveys from this period had 28 pages - they all can't be missing the centerfold, right?

Edited by Moondog

41 minutes ago, Moondog said:

I just picked up a Wendy the Good Little Witch 1-3 (1960).  Nice copies.  As I was counting the pages on #1 I was disappointed that it only had 7 interior wraps or 28 pages.  When I counted #2 the same.  #3 the same.  I then started counting the pages on 22 additional copies all from the same period (Spooky, Casper, etc.) and they too had 28 interior pages.  In 45 years of dealing I've never noticed that before.  Can someone confirm that Harveys from this period had 28 pages - they all can't be missing the centerfold, right?

I don't have a 1 or 2 but I do have Wendy 3 and 4. Just counted the pages on both and it's definitely 36, including covers, as October states above

Edited by Jeffro.

I have a few from 1960, and one is missing the first wrap. Unless you count pages, it's not even noticeable. Typically, the first wrap contained a single page story and 3 ad pages, which coincides with what I found when checking GCD.

I forgot to post here that the mystery was figured out.  The comics were clearly 36 interior pages with the centerfold being 4 ad pages.  Turns out the weird little kid who owned these pulled all the centerfolds out.  88 books with no centerfold.  Ha ha.  Chalk up another "weird thing that collectors do." 

I was about to buy an original golden age collection in 2002 but before the deal could get done, the basement where the books were stored flooded and they were all destroyed.  Batman 1-100.  Superman 2-100.  Cap 1-11.  And a bunch more.  What was "weird" is the owner and his brother clipped out every ad page of every book.  All .5s.  Crazy!