• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best comic shop in Atlanta, Georgia?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

So, I sat on this one for a day to see if anyone else would answer but since all is quiet, I'll throw in my two cents.

Atlanta has some cool comic book stores. Just to name a few:

Oxford Comics has a huge variety, everything from little kid books to very adult titles (in a discreet corner of the store). It has a good selection of Modern age back issues with the occasional Copper age issue on the wall. It's an awesome store, but if condition is important to you, be there on Wednesday to pick up your new books; they have a shelving system that bends the books pretty quickly and gives them the old spinner-rack treatment.

Titan Comics has a great supply of recent (last five years or so) back issues and great customer service. Like many comic book stores, however, they have been increasingly splitting their focus with gaming.

Dr. No's is an institution run by Cliff Biggers and Ward Batty. I knew their names from reading The Comics Buyer's Guide as a kid long before I visited their store. They also publish Comic Shop News, which I have seen in comic book stores across the country. I think of their back issue stock as being mainly Modern age and Copper age books with lots of cool variant covers (which are pricey).

However, I don't really feel like we've got much in the way of stores with Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age back issues. What we've got (that I've seen) is:

Criminal Records is an incredibly cool music, comics, and pop culture establishment in Little Five Points. While lots of the places on my list are geeky cool, Criminal feels cool cool. They have a pretty small selection of back issues BUT over the last year or two they have started going deeper with their inventory and now display maybe 40-60 books for sale that are Golden, Silver, or Bronze.

I visited Infinite Realities comics for the first time right before the pandemic got underway and was pleasantly surprised to find a number of decent Bronze Age books mixed in with their back issues. I swore to go back soon, but haven't made good on that promise in the current climate.

Atlanta Classic Comics probably has the biggest and best selection of Golden, Silver, and Bronze, but they are pretty strictly a mail order business. You can actually visit their offices during business hours, but you won't be browsing their warehouse. They'll just sit you at a computer and tell you to order anything you want online.

Fellow Atlantans, jump in and correct me or tell me what I've missed. I know that there are stores I haven't visited lately.

11 hours ago, JRBaxter said:

Dave’s Comics and Collectibles on Hwy 85 between Riverdale and Fayetteville. Not much gold, but a good amount of silver and bronze. 

Yes! I forgot all about Dave's, which is a pretty awesome shop!

I want to update my earlier answer, since I had the opportunity to revisit Infinite Realities today. 

I can now confirm that IR has a healthy selection of Golden age (I saw some ECs, Bugs Bunny, jungle and war comics), Silver age (Tales of Suspense, Strange Tales, Tales to Astonish, pre-100 issues of Spidey and the FF and plenty of Silver DCs) and Bronze (lots of popular books from DC, Marvel, and Gold Key).

I picked up a Fantastic Four 89 and a Mighty Thor 228, which looked to be around 9.0 condition. Most books are probably in the 3.0 to 7.0 range. 

The owners are super nice. While I shopped, they gave my wife a cute “chubby Pikachu” poster (while noting that they “don’t condone body-shaming Pokémon”). They are being smart about COVID and even offer a curbside pickup option (but of course I’m there to look through boxes).

So, this is my current answer to “What’s the best comic shop to find Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age comics in the Atlanta area?” with one qualification: I still haven’t gotten a chance to revisit Dave’s Comics and Collectibles, so keep them in mind also.

@Off PanelPanel is spot on. 

Heres one more off beat place. 

The Book Nook on Noeth Druid Hill rd in N Decatur.

Ita a used book store but also gets in new releases. Theyve got (or did when I used to haunt the joint) a dozen long  boxes of copper and bronze and a few boxes by the front door that are remaindered copies  (sharpie mark on the top edge) from I don't know where but they refill those boxes all the time. Always managed to pull 10-20 good reads out of there on a regular basis.

Edited by miraclemet

12 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I thought Atlanta was just where you switched planes? ???

That’s one crazy big airport. 

12 minutes ago, piper said:
12 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I thought Atlanta was just where you switched planes? ???

That’s one crazy big airport. 

A couple memories from the Atlanta airport.

1) Food - never heard or seen most of what was there, either before or since.

2) The lady who took my boarding ticket correctly pronounced my name. As I was heading into the tunnel, I said, "how did you know how to pronounce that?" She replied, "It's just what it looks like."  No way. The correct pronunciation happens about .0000001 % of the time.*

*  Side note - I had a demanding college professor that taught Strategic Management which I had to have for a business degree from the University of Oregon. It was a smallish class (about 30) and he loved to call out the students by name to grill and torture them on the topics of the day.  After he mangled my last name about five times, and I corrected him each time, he quit calling on me for the rest of the term.  My son went to Hofstra University on Lonk Island, and he said the professors there could rattle out 15 syllable Italian names flawlessly, but they just could not wrap their heads or tongues around a two syllable Norwegian name. He introduced a pronunciation guide for the wrestling news releases, so that people could correctly pronounce the names of the Norwegian and Ukrainian wrestlers on the team.