• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's PLASTIC WOMAN animated series (TBD)
1 1

6 posts in this topic

It's not a stretch to say that fans of DC Comics superhero Patrick O'Brian have mixed reactions to reports Warner Bros. is developing a female-starring Plastic Man movie. On Friday, The Hollywood Reporter broke the news that the studio is reimagining Plastic Man as a female-led vehicle after hiring Black List writer Cat Vasko to overhaul the project in the earliest stages of development. According to THR, it's unclear if that change of direction comes with a title change with the addition of Vasko, who has adapted Queen of the Air with The Suicide Squad's Margot Robbie attached to star and upcoming HBO Max animated comedy Lumberjanes.

Plastic Man got rolling in December 2018 when Amanda Idoko (The Mayor, Breaking News in Yuba County) was brought on to pen the --script under executive producer Robert Shaye (the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise, The Lord of the Rings trilogy). That version of Plastic Man was said to be a "comedic action-adventure" styled after the character's early appearances in Quality Comics.

In the comic books, O'Brian is a small-time criminal who falls into a vat of chemicals that give him the powers of superhuman malleability. O'Brian molds himself into a bonafide superhero and even goes on to join the Justice League of America.

Ben Schwartz (Parks and Recreation, Sonic the Hedgehog) and Reid Scott (Veep, Venom) are among the actors who have expressed interest in playing the role in a feature film. Popular fan casts for the character in recent years have included Jim Carrey, Bill Hader, and John Mulaney.

Edited by Bosco685

WB Studios is just criminal in its portfolio treatment of these characters at times.

Though best known initially for his raunchy comedies in the 1990s and his "View Askewniverse" franchise of films, Kevin Smith's outspoken opinions and love for comic books and superheroes has largely become what he's known for these days. The Clerks and Chasing Amy writer/director has entire podcasts dedicated to this stuff, plus seven seasons of a tv show, but all of that is to say a lot of his projects in that realm somehow never end up happening. Speaking on his FatMan Beyond podcast, Smith opened up about one of those projects, an animated Plastic Man TV show, which he'd totally forgotten he'd developed a few years ago.

"I was deep diving into one of my laptops looking for an old photo and I found a -script to Plastic Man that I wrote for a Plastic Man cartoon like two years ago or something like that," Smith said. "I completely f-ckin forgot about it and they paid me to write it and then they didn't do it and it was with um what's his name from The Big Bang Theory, He was such a good dude, Jim Parsons. What a lovely dude but he was gonna be the voice of Plastic Man. So I looked at the -script and I was like 'Wow man they f-cking paid me to write this and it's never going to happen.'"

Mister Fantastic was done very poorly in the two FF movies, and so I hope they achieve much better CGI results with Plastic Man.  Also, the fluctuating light-and-dark tone of Jack Cole’s original stories, as was used quite successfully in the Shazam! film.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Our Flag Means Death star Leslie Jones is set to lend her voice to a new adult animated series from Warner Bros. Animation.

Per Variety, Jones will lead an ensemble cast for the untitled series. The actor will voice Plastic Woman, though the outlet didn't make it clear if the show has any relation to DC or its comic book character Plastic Man. It did, however, confirm the series is unconnected to the Plastic Woman film DC was working on in 2020. No further details on the plot, cast, or network for the series were revealed.

Edited by Bosco685