• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9 new Star Wars shows revealed as Lucasfilm plots the future on Disney Plus

8 posts in this topic

https://www.polygon.com/disney-plus/2020/12/10/22168664/star-wars-shows-lando-acolyte-obi-wan-ahsoka-anime

Disney Plus is going all in with Star Wars stories, with a whole slate of new shows announced for the platform. In addition to the already announced Cassian Andor series and the Obi-Wan series (with Hayden Christensen reprising his role as Darth Vader), Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy announced 7 new shows under the Star Wars banner.

The live action offerings includes Rangers of the New Republic, a new series from Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni set during the timeline of The Mandalorian. The duo will also create a series focusing on Jedi Ahsoka Tano.

Next up is a new Lando Calrissian event series, Lando, from Dear White People creator Justin Simien. Russian Doll creator Leslye Headland’s mysterious Star Wars series gets a name: The Acolyte, which will be a mystery-thriller set in the last days of a new era: The High Republic.

For animation, Lucasfilm gave fans a better look at The Bad Batch, its show about group of rogue Stormtroopers from Star Wars: The Clone Wars characters. Additionally, an anime anthology of short Star Wars films called Visions will also hit the platform. Lucasfilm Animation is also teaming up with Lucasfilm’s visual effects team, Industrial Light & Magic, to create A Droid Story, which will introduce a new droid alongside R2-D2 and C3P0.

Is there any reason to believe there's someone keeping all of this straight this time around besides Kathleen Kennedy, or should we just expect another round of "maybe it's a hit, maybe it's a miss, who knows, really, until it's out?" 

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Is there any reason to believe there's someone keeping all of this straight this time around besides Kathleen Kennedy, or should we just expect another round of "maybe it's a hit, maybe it's a miss, who knows, really, until it's out?" 

I think Filoni and Faverau are involved in Rangers and Ahsoka. The others...I’m nervous. 

On 12/10/2020 at 10:28 PM, fantastic_four said:

Looking at last week's investor videos it's clear Kathleen Kennedy is front and center announcing everything so she will continue to helm Star Wars.  Did anyone see anything about Feige's supposed movie?  I'd still rather he provided management help instead of working on just one film.  And if he was advising Kennedy we probably wouldn't know about it, so if Kennedy magically gets better it's possible Feige has been whispering to her, and that'd be great, but we probably won't know if that ever happened until a while after we've gotten lots of quality content.

The next glimmer of hope I'm looking for is some sort of evidence that someone capable will be curating the content in the way Lucas did before and Feige does for Marvel now.  I used to want that to be Pablo Hidalgo, but he's just not doing it, and his involvement with Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker tells me I may have been wrong to think he's the guy.  Feige produced the early Sony and Fox films for Marvel, but he has explicitly said Avi Arad had control and he was often ignored, but Hidalgo was supposedly fine with the content of those two Star Wars movies, so if that's true he's not the right guy.

I'm now hoping the curator ends up being Dave Filoni, but it looks like he's too actively involved in Mandalorian and its off-shoots to affect all the others, so I'm guessing he has no wider role.  So I'm optimistic about all of these new projects but not holding my breath for any of them besides the ones Filoni and Favreau are helming.  I'm half-interested in the Patty Jenkins movie because Wonder Woman had some nice moments at the start and up through those WWI battle scenes, but the last third of that movie was boring as heck so I'm not expecting much from her, either.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 12/11/2020 at 5:13 AM, Larryw7 said:

Looking forward to the Obi-Wan series. The rest, I don't know.

After hearing that the Inquisitors may appear as the antagonists of the series, I'm really looking forward to it.