• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key issue mystery bags! Only 20 bags total!
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I'm trying something a little different. I've got 20 different key issues including: Thor:God of Thunder 2, Conan The Barbarian 1, Marvel Special Edition 15, Star Wars 2 newsstand and many more. I'm doing a very small mystery bag lot with only 20 total key issues. All issues are listed and described and I do my best to give a fair grade opinion on them. Each bag comes with 1 of the comics listed, random lot assignment rules and video log details all given in the description. You have a 1 in 5 chance of getting one of those 4 issues!

This is my first mystery bag type auction so also open to any input, I can take it lol

EBay Key Mystery Bag Lot

You not having much in the way of prior comic sales feedback won't help. And the fact that 3/4 of the books probably aren't worth $99 won't help either. Nothing stops you from just giving out the lesser books as "mystery wins" and keeping the good ones... or have them bought by your real selling account, post positive feedback, and then you just re-sell them on your real selling account. Of course, this is the risk anyone takes on these mystery lots. At least you are promising something, though i would not be too jacked to pay $108.50 for MOKF 26, 125, or Showcase 83 or most of the others you have up. They are often sub $10 books:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/MASTER-OF-KUNG-FU-125-Marvel-January-1983-VF-8-0-/293853956854?hash=item446b0f8af6%3Ag%3AgD0AAOSw0eBfvZpX&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557     https://www.ebay.com/itm/MASTER-OF-KUNG-FU-26-March-1975-Shang-Chi-1st-Appearance-Cursed-Lotus-Awkwafina-/254807040729?hash=item3b53aee2d9%3Ag%3AzYYAAOSwU55f1nFM&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557   https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOWCASE-83-NIGHTMASTER-DC-1969-Joe-Kubert-amp-Bernie-Wrightson-Art-VG-FN-/402205924786?hash=item5da5575db2%3Ag%3Au5gAAOSwqkxeihQh&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557     Anyway, I can dissect this all day. 

Edited by the blob

Thanks I appreciate the feedback.

As far as your point that I could just ship the bottom 16 books, I'll be sending a video link to all buyers showing an uncut, one shot video of giving away all 20 comics and even what ebay buyers receive what. I know that doesnt do much for initial concerns, but hopefully it alleviates them on the back end and shows I run a legit deal. I've already noticed the trackers and watchers on this site and I do not want to draw their wrath lol!

And yeah I figured not having much for comic reviews would hurt, but I thought it might be offset by an 8+ year old account with all solid feedback.

And yeah getting one of the lower comics wouldn't be great, I'll freely admit that, but I view it as a lottery ticket. 1:5 odds is pretty good odds for a potential 5x multiplier on your gamble. It's all about perspective I guess.

Some win, some don't, but at least everyone gets something with mine. 

Happy holidays!

Edited by Sferg

I am just saying what a buyer is likely to think. I'm not sure how you ever get around this. I could see a very well regarded seller here having enough trust among boardies to do this right. I would never trust a low feedback non-comic selling ebay person to do it right. You're also plugging the SW #2 newsstand as if the newsstand made it rarer. The newsstand version is far more common. And there is no 5x multiplier on your gamble. The Thor 2 raw in 9.0  is maybe $150-$200. The SE 15 is maybe around $300. The Conan 1 maybe $300-$350. The Star Wars 2 is maybe $100-$125, quite likely less. The MSH 13 is likely not a $100 book as a CGC 4.0 recently sold for $100. I'm not thread krapping because I assume you didn't think there were potential buyers here, but anyone can go through this analysis like I am doing. There are plenty of mystery box sellers on ebay, but not structured like your's with such a high $ amount and the potential for really losing money if you get one of the lousier books. If you had more filler books in the lots maybe it would be less scarey. But looking at this listing and it looks like you are trying to sell maybe $1000-1500 worth of books (and that assumes your grades are all accurate) and get $2000 for them. I am telling you this as a guy who sold thousands of dollars of grab bag boxes during a stretch a few years back, but I structured it differently. I would sell $1000 in overstreet "worth of" books for $350 or whatever. I cry re: how many high grade Special Marvel Edition 15s I used to put in those grab bags as you couldn't sell them for 25% of guide back then.

I can add plenty of fillers if that takes some of the worry out, I thought people would like something where they dont get a stack of 20-30 likely worthless books, but if most want quantity I can definitely add that to the mix with a guaranteed couple books in each that price out to 10 or 20 in overstreet. I can increase the bag count and lower the price point but I was trying to bring something with much higher odds than normal to the table.

You're right that I wasnt posting here for sales, I wanted feedback and you're providing plenty and I do appreciate it. I plan to do many mystery bag auctions and one has to start somewhere so this is me doing that lol.

Would it have more appeal if I took the top 4  or so out and replaced it with a batman 313 cgc 8.5? 

I've temporarily ended it to restructure it. 

yeah, the 313 would be a good prize. that probably gives you your $500-600 value at this moment's hysterical prices on that book (which don't make sense to me). I am not sure how you get over the trust issue.  But being guaranteed more than a MOKF 26, which sold for $2 in decent shape recently (I know, it has sold for more), would probably help a lot if you could bulk out the lot a little more. Some of the descriptions seem a little bit of a stretch. Spectacular Spiderman 150 is worth whatever it is in 9.8 (something under $90 as an unsold copy is sitting on ebay), trying to speculate that the story line might one day be a movie? Also, Action 521 is a good book right now, but it is not much harder to find in the newsstand version. About half the copies on ebay are newsstand versions. DC Newsstands of that era are very common and probably had prior print runs than direct. They are likely hard to find in 9.8 and 9.6, but not mid-grade copies. I'm just saying this because descriptions like this are over hyping and turn people off. Then again, there are a lot of stupid people out there, so who knows? Like I said, people trusted me on my "$1000 as per Overstreet" and bid accordingly, usually looking for a 60% or better discount off that number. And I carefully went through each book in the lot in the list, gave my estimated grade, overstreet value, etc. And I had to put some keys in there, albeit sometimes ones I was having trouble selling anywhere near guide, but I had to put some regular good books in there too. I put a low grade ASM 28 in one of those lots. And I did well on that business model until three packages I sent to one guy via media mail got totally messed up, arrived late, he bombed my feedback stars (but did not leave a negative!), claimed a chargeback, and because they were all over $250 and had no signature confirmation (or whatever the rule was), I was hosed despite delivery confirmation, he filed a chargeback. That killed my account and I stopped selling like that. (As an aside, he wrote back later and told me that my grading lined up pretty well with what CGC ultimately gave the books he submitted.) With that said, with ebay's newer pretty much unlimited return rules I don't think you can sell that way anymore as folks could just buy grab bags and return them if they did not exceed expectations, foisting the shipping charges on you, keep a few of the better books, claim they sent them all back, etc. With your auction I see a distinct possibility if someone gets the raw book they don't want (MOKF 26, 125, etc.) they just return it, saying it is overgraded. They only people who keep the books are the slabs (and even then they might come up with a reason that ebay accepts) and the good books.