• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazon Prime's SAMARITAN starring Sylvester Stallone (8/26/22)
1 1

48 posts in this topic

A new image for Sylvestor Stallone's SAMARITAN has superhero-landed online. In the photo, we find Stallone sporting an army green coat while pressing his hand up against a nearby van. As two pedestrians look on in astonishment at Stallone's character, we see that he's in the midst of protecting a young child from harm. The new image hails from Slash Film, who recently spoke with the film's director, Julius Avery, about the upcoming genre project.

"We didn’t really have superheroes...We only had action heroes. And Sly was the closest thing we had to a superhero. So to put him in a superhero movie? That feels fresh and cool and something that people will get a kick out of," Avery explained to the outlet.

In Samaritan, a young lad learns that a superhero who went missing 20 years ago is living next door to him. Avery says the film will be a grounded affair about a kid looking for a father figure in Stallone's character. While the film may include some heartstring-tugging elements, Avery promises that there will be plenty of action as well.

"This is a big event movie – we see our heroes kicking ...We’re going to see Sly do things he hasn’t done in a long time, and in a really inventive way. He’s 73 years old! I’m amazed by how much he actually does. I’m telling you, most guys in their twenties wouldn’t be able to do what Sly does in this movie," Avery told Slash Film.

Samaritan is hoping to be released in the UK on June 4th.

Edited by Bosco685

SAMARITAN: Everything We Know About Sylvester Stallone's New Movie

Better late than never, Stallone will star in the upcoming Samaritan, a new film about a retired superhero set to release in August 2022. The film had finished filming back in 2020, but the COVID-19 pandemic prevented its release and forced it back two years. Now, fans will get to see one of their favorite icons finally don the superhero cape. Here is everything we know about Samaritan, Sylvester Stallone’s new movie.

From what is known so far, the film is based on the Mythos comic book series of the same name and will likewise follow the same storyline. Within the movie's universe, we see a city 20 years after the supposed "fall" of its greatest protector, The Samaritan. It's a grim look at what happens when the superhero vanishes. Crime has reclaimed the city, and its inhabitants live in fear. As a new threat begins to emerge, a young boy named Sam Cleary starts to search for the previously-believed deceased hero when he learns that he may still be alive and living amongst ordinary people. His search leads him to a disheveled old man going simply by the name Stanley Kominski. While most everyone believes this man to be an average sanitation worker, Sam sees hope in his dark world, and the wide-eyed boy isn't willing to give up on him. Sam tries to rally the once cherished hero back onto the battlefield, but he may find out to his disappointment that The Samaritan's crime-fighting days may be done for good.

The film itself has been described as "bone-crunching." Unlike other superhero films, fans may expect this one to be a different and stripped-down form of movie than they may be used to from the genre and other Stallone films, for that matter. 

This actually looks pretty good. I wasn't expecting anything when I first heard about the project, but now after the first trailer it seems the tone and visuals are pretty well done.

This is also honestly what I had originally hoped for most superhero offerings, smaller lower-budget films released on streaming (as opposed to TV miniseries...most of what Disney/Marvel has released all could have been pretty good tight 2 hour movies, as none really benefited from their episodic nature)

On 7/27/2022 at 12:50 PM, Sauce Dog said:

This actually looks pretty good. I wasn't expecting anything when I first heard about the project, but now after the first trailer it seems the tone and visuals are pretty well done.

This is also honestly what I had originally hoped for most superhero offerings, smaller lower-budget films released on streaming (as opposed to TV miniseries...most of what Disney/Marvel has released all could have been pretty good tight 2 hour movies, as none really benefited from their episodic nature)

I think it is coming as studios will have to weigh the need for content vs box office release. If you are spending $200M on a movie, then definitely start with box office first. However, if you can do it for $20M or less, the streaming may be a better bet to keep subscribers happy.