• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Color breaking
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hello all! I’m sure this topic has been covered before but I can’t find the right topic or discussion board. My question is what is the highest grade a comic book can achieve with a spine stress that breaks color. I understand COMPLETELY that grading is subjective but there has to be a general idea. If you have a comic that’s pretty close to perfect but there is a spine stress that looks to break color what is the highest grade CGC will give? My question goes for a stress line that is almost imperceivable to a 1/8 inch tick, but in all circumstances there is color breakage. 

Mike

“ My question goes for a stress line that is almost imperceivable to a 1/8 inch tick, but in all circumstances there is color breakage.”

If there is just a single, barely imperceptible cb tick and the rest of the book inside and out is “flawless”, a 9.6 would be the highest I’ve seen on a cgc graded book. More often than not, it will likely grade between 9.2-9.4 to answer your question.

21 minutes ago, Mrlucky121788 said:

Oh? I thought it was way less than that. From what I’ve been reading people are saying between 7.0 to 9.4. But that’s a huge gap right there. So your saying it’s possible to get as high as 9.6?

I have never seen a book would grade anywhere under a 9.0 under the circumstances that you described. If a book receives a grade of 7.0, there are many other defects on/in the book

a 9.6 is improbable.

my $.02

Edited by Funnybooks

20 hours ago, Mrlucky121788 said:

Hello all! I’m sure this topic has been covered before but I can’t find the right topic or discussion board. My question is what is the highest grade a comic book can achieve with a spine stress that breaks color. I understand COMPLETELY that grading is subjective but there has to be a general idea. If you have a comic that’s pretty close to perfect but there is a spine stress that looks to break color what is the highest grade CGC will give? My question goes for a stress line that is almost imperceivable to a 1/8 inch tick, but in all circumstances there is color breakage. 

Mike

9.6 is the highest though usually a colour breaking crease is bigger and more obvious and will get a lower grade than that. but we are alking hypotheticals here, so the answer is a a hypothetical 9.6

On 1/31/2021 at 1:07 PM, Mrlucky121788 said:

Mike

I have a couple of 9.6 books with tiny color breaking spine stress lines...

I always thought a 9.6 was virtually perfect. I mean I look at 8.0’s and can’t even see anything. I just went to my LCS...which isn’t very local, and he said a 9.0 was the highest. Everything is so subjective. Maybe he thought I meant a noticeable color break? I’m talking about something so small that you have to put your eye right up to the comic. First glance you won’t see anything but then there’s the FAINTEST little line of white. You can’t see it but it breaks color, know what I mean? Thank you guys for giving me your input on this. I think a lot of my comics are higher grades than I originally thought now.

9 hours ago, Mrlucky121788 said:

I always thought a 9.6 was virtually perfect. I mean I look at 8.0’s and can’t even see anything. I just went to my LCS...which isn’t very local, and he said a 9.0 was the highest. Everything is so subjective. Maybe he thought I meant a noticeable color break? I’m talking about something so small that you have to put your eye right up to the comic. First glance you won’t see anything but then there’s the FAINTEST little line of white. You can’t see it but it breaks color, know what I mean? Thank you guys for giving me your input on this. I think a lot of my comics are higher grades than I originally thought now.

The kind of flaw you're talking about would likely keep the book out of 9.8 or higher. But please bear in mind that many times high grade books will have less noticeable flaws which keep them from reaching 9.8 or higher. Flaws such as light finger bends or finger stains, miniscule corner wear, wear on the vertex of the spine, slight rippling or warping and other minor flaws can all contribute to a grade reduction. A 9.8 book should appear virtually perfect except for one or two tiny flaws which are only visible upon very close inspection...

16 hours ago, Mrlucky121788 said:

Well, you certainly are Mr. Lucky because today, the welcome wagon is loaded, all oiled up, and ready to roll. And now let the magic and merriment ensue! Just a small sample of what to expect during what we all assume will be a long and mutually beneficial tenure on the forum! 

welcome.gif