• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storing your Art in Portfolio case

33 posts in this topic

I buy mylars from eGerber and Itoya Advantage portfolios from B&H Photo.

B&H has the lowest prices and great customer service. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563006-REG/Itoya_AD24_13_Art_Portfolio_Advantage_Book.html

The Itoyas fit perfectly in my TOPO Design backpack.  I can fit upward of 5-6 portfolios in one of these.

https://topodesigns.com/products/convertible-travel-bag-laptop-backpack-40l?variant=42979982639157

On 9/25/2024 at 7:23 PM, Sakaarian collector said:

I know most of these posts were from a few years ago. Is placing them in museum grade mylars 11x17 still the way to go and then placing them in 12x18 itoyas? Any specific 11x17 size mylars suggested so there's no worry about acid issues or otherwise down the road? Never bought them before as I only had a few OA pieces and all were framed but with all the new pieces I picked up recently, they'll have to go in a binder. 

Suggestions on best mylar museum grade 11x17 brand and where to buy? Looks like Amazon is still the way to go for an itoya binder that holds 12x18?

Thanks

I should point out that I think some of the concerns about storage are over-wrought so long as you keep the art in a cool, dry and dark place—particularly, dark. I keep mine in Itoya’s with some mylars, in the dark at room temperature, but except for valuable pieces, the mylars are not worth the inconvenience.

I know most of these posts were from a few years ago. Is placing them in museum grade mylars 11x17 still the way to go and then placing them in 12x18 itoyas? Any specific 11x17 size mylars suggested so there's no worry about acid issues or otherwise down the road? Never bought them before as I only had a few OA pieces and all were framed but with all the new pieces I picked up recently, they'll have to go in a binder. 

Suggestions on best mylar museum grade 11x17 brand and where to buy? Looks like Amazon is still the way to go for an itoya binder that holds 12x18?

Thanks

I should point out that I think some of the concerns about storage are over-wrought so long as you keep the art in a cool, dry and dark place—particularly, dark. I keep mine in Itoya’s with some mylars, in the dark at room temperature, but except for valuable pieces, the mylars are not worth the inconvenience.

Thanks

Thanks

On 9/26/2024 at 12:58 AM, Xatari said:

I buy mylars from eGerber and Itoya Advantage portfolios from B&H Photo.

B&H has the lowest prices and great customer service. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563006-REG/Itoya_AD24_13_Art_Portfolio_Advantage_Book.html

The Itoyas fit perfectly in my TOPO Design backpack.  I can fit upward of 5-6 portfolios in one of these.

https://topodesigns.com/products/convertible-travel-bag-laptop-backpack-40l?variant=42979982639157

Nice. Thanks for the links and suggestions. Much appreciated. (thumbsu

On 9/26/2024 at 6:53 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I'm guessing that a few will make it to frames but most will be in these portfolios for years to come. They will be placed in a fairly dark room with shades always closed and the room temp is usually 60 to 70 degrees all year round and in a non smoking environment but I'd like the mylars to be nice and clear rather than cloudy if possible (bought some cgc bags that were cloudy that I wasn't thrilled with) but I'm mostly concerned with preserving the nice white board color as much as I can over the years. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. (thumbsu

On 9/26/2024 at 1:32 PM, Sakaarian collector said:

I'm guessing that a few will make it to frames but most will be in these portfolios for years to come. They will be placed in a fairly dark room with shades always closed and the room temp is usually 60 to 70 degrees all year round and in a non smoking environment but I'd like the mylars to be nice and clear rather than cloudy if possible (bought some cgc bags that were cloudy that I wasn't thrilled with) but I'm mostly concerned with preserving the nice white board color as much as I can over the years. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. (thumbsu

Be very cautious with artwork in which markers are used. They fade badly in sunlight. My avatar was made with a marker, but it has spent over 35 years in the dark (in an old cheap frame in the closet). I have never had a Mylar fade, by the way. Also, dry. Moisture is the enemy of paper, even air moisture.

On 9/27/2024 at 6:53 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Be very cautious with artwork in which markers are used. They fade badly in sunlight. My avatar was made with a marker, but it has spent over 35 years in the dark (in an old cheap frame in the closet). I have never had a Mylar fade, by the way. Also, dry. Moisture is the enemy of paper, even air moisture.

Ahhh...I'll keep that in mind for anything I happen to pick up that consists of marker work. These are done with pencils only with the exception of a few, which were also inked. The storage space for them is dark and dry so I should be good to go as far as location in concerned. Time for a new location...I need more wall space!