• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tarzan Comic #3 (1950)

12 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I wasn’t really sure where to post this - hopefully I’ve found the right place.

I recently acquired a copy of the above comic (photos provided below) and was curious what the potential value of the comic is, if any.  It is my intention to get it slabbed but I thought I’d reach out to my learned colleagues on the forum 😃.  Just to be clear then I’m not enquiring about grade just potential value. 

Interested to hear thoughts.

thanks,

Raj

D0BEBB36-87CD-4BE3-B60C-326DA25AEB33.thumb.jpeg.3ccf0a0fa670015a8c9c89c797750c71.jpeg

5304841B-9DFD-427B-82D7-88A13FBC3BB9.thumb.jpeg.266a2f323f0c947748ea5cbbf066aa53.jpeg

12 minutes ago, rdz30606 said:

Hello all,

I recently acquired a copy of the above comic (photos provided below) and was curious what the potential value of the comic is, if any.  It is my intention to get it slabbed but I thought I’d reach out to my learned colleagues on the forum 😃.  Just to be clear then I’m not enquiring about grade just potential value. 

thanks,

Raj

D0BEBB36-87CD-4BE3-B60C-326DA25AEB33.thumb.jpeg.3ccf0a0fa670015a8c9c89c797750c71.jpeg

5304841B-9DFD-427B-82D7-88A13FBC3BB9.thumb.jpeg.266a2f323f0c947748ea5cbbf066aa53.jpeg

I have never seen it before, it might be highly collectable to a "Tarzan" collector as well as a comic book collector. The cover art is certainly unique to the book but what is unusual is there is no price on the front cover for newsstand reference as the price is completely blank. This leads me to believe that this could be quite a "rare" item even amount british comic book collectors. You might want to see if you can track down issues 1/2 if they exist. Since the book was published in 1950 it is over 70 years old, that might prove difficult. I would not under any circumstance sell the book at a "giveaway" price until you have researched it. Cong on the great buy.

Edited by Mmehdy

1 minute ago, Mmehdy said:

I have never seen it before, it might be highly collectable to a "Tarzan" collector as well as a comic book collector. The cover art is certainly unique to the book but what is unusual is there is no price on the front cover for newsstand reference as the price is bland. This leads me to believe that this could be quite a "rare" item even amount british comic book collectors. You might want to see if you can track down issues 1/2 if they exist. Since the book was published in 1950 it is over 70 years old, that might prove difficult. I would not under any circumstance sell the book at a "giveaway" price until you have researched it. Cong on the great buy.

Thank you for the feedback and advice.

The little bit of homework I did POST actually acquiring the book - is that this comic might be the 3rd ever appearance of Tarzan in a comic book - again, the internet is not always the ideal source of info so looking for some kind of validation from the community.

I did notice the lack of a price on the cover too.  I must admit I did pick it up relatively cheap so now interested in understanding more about provenance and value. 

Thanks again.

9 minutes ago, rdz30606 said:

Thank you for the feedback and advice.

The little bit of homework I did POST actually acquiring the book - is that this comic might be the 3rd ever appearance of Tarzan in a comic book - again, the internet is not always the ideal source of info so looking for some kind of validation from the community.

I did notice the lack of a price on the cover too.  I must admit I did pick it up relatively cheap so now interested in understanding more about provenance and value. 

Thanks again.

Tarzan first appeared in a Grosset and Dunlap reprint of comic strips in 1929 here in the USA, Also he appeared in Tip Top comic book of the 1930's as well a single issue of Single Series #7, Four color comics also...that is a guess on the issue number. Since this character was created in the USA in 1919 All Story pulp...you might be right about it being the 3d appearance in Britain of Tarzan in a comic book, not here in the USA by far. Still it is something in my 50 plus year of collecting that I have never seen, I would think you best chance of selling it for a top price would be to research for a Tarzan collector who is a completeist, or possible any ERB museum similar institution. That type of collector would not be fazed by paying a above value price.

Edited by Mmehdy

1 minute ago, Mmehdy said:

Tarzan first appeared in a Grosset and Dunlap reprint of comic strips in 1929 here in the USA, Also he appeared in Tip Top comic book of the 1930's as well a single issue of Single Series #7, Four color comics also...that is a guess on the issue number. Since this character was created in the USA in 1919 All Story pulp...you might be right about it being the 3d appearance in Britain of Tarzan in a comic book, not here in the USA by far. Still it is something in my 50 plus year of collecting that I have never seen, I would think you best chance of selling it for a top would be to research for a Tarzan collector who is a completeist, or possible any ERB museum similar institution. That type of collector would not be fazed by paying a above value price.

Wow - thanks for your help.  And thanks also for the history lesson there.....I need to do more digging.

Much appreciated.

1 hour ago, rdz30606 said:

Hello all,

thanks,

Raj

It looks like your English version of Tarzan comics were reprints of Hogarth's Tarzan stories originally published in the Sunday funnies of many American newspapers.  Early comic book editions in the USA were by Foster but both Hogarth and Foster art were reprinted in Sparkler and Tip Top.

3344382570_bff5fba74a_b.jpg

18 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Tarzan first appeared in a Grosset and Dunlap reprint of comic strips in 1929 here in the USA, Also he appeared in Tip Top comic book of the 1930's as well a single issue of Single Series #7, Four color comics also...that is a guess on the issue number. Since this character was created in the USA in 1919 All Story pulp...you might be right about it being the 3d appearance in Britain of Tarzan in a comic book, not here in the USA by far. Still it is something in my 50 plus year of collecting that I have never seen, I would think you best chance of selling it for a top price would be to research for a Tarzan collector who is a completeist, or possible any ERB museum similar institution. That type of collector would not be fazed by paying a above value price.

That's Single Series #20 not 7

Edited by BB-Gun