• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone having an issue with the amount when you try to pay with PP?
3 3

25 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, B2D327 said:

Really? I’ve rarely had an issue with them in the 20 years since I started using them. Most of the problems I’ve read about were from people who’s accounts were hacked which in most cases was due to their own carelessness or being fooled by spoof emails. That and their recent acceptance of crypto currencies doesn’t lead me to believe they’re going anywhere anytime soon

I suggest you check again, if you are that bothered.

Their own forum is full of complaints from people who have just been frozen out for no reason.

Sharryn is telling you on this very thread that she cannot reach them.

The loss of ebay will be a massive blow - I have strong doubts they will be around in a couple of years.

I actually don't care either way tbh  :foryou:

22 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Maybe something new occurred and I missed it?

I tried putting in a number 4 times last night, paying with REGULAR paypal, not Friends, just regular and it keeps showing a different amount on the next page, I put in a round number and they deducted what appears to be their fees and then charged the seller fees as well. The hold they put on my credit card the first 4 times was the round number I entered, but this last time when it went through it's the lower amount (net) amount. For example, if I entered $1000, they showed and charged me  $974.80 , then sent the seller $942.60. 

I can't get through on the phone they said they are so busy they are not answering calls and see nothing on Google.

If you see two windows side-by-side to one another when you are entering the amount, beneath the field where you enter the amount you should see a currency that is actually a drop-down selection. If you're seeing a second window right next to it where you enter the amount, make sure both those drop downs beneath the field where you enter the amount is in USD. It happens at times that when a person has either sent money another currency, that as soon as they use PayPal's currency conversion, PayPal creates a secondary account where the user can manage that currency separately, and in doing so, PayPal will attempt to convert the currency to that other currency, and that might explain why you are seeing a different amount.

My account is in USD, and I made it primary, but from time to time, depending on who I'm dealing with, I've had to send GBP, Euro, and when I'm buying within Canada, in CDN. PayPal has done this to me a number of times when people are sending me payment in USD, they will force convert it to CDN because I keep a currency converted amount from a previous payment in that currency, so I have to explain to the sender to make sure both those drop downs are in USD.

Not sure if this will help, but this is the only thing I've ever seen where PayPal changes the amount.

Edited by comicwiz

Not the same issue, but I've been having problems with PayPal randomly telling me I can't use my bank account for certain fund transfers and they will only accept a credit/debit card. No rhyme or reason to it either. I thought it might have had something to do with the amounts I was sending, but I triggered the error with a $1700 transfer and did not on one for $4000 a few days later

Edited by Nic8612

@comicwiz

Thanks, all in USD, always USD, haven't sent something in another currency in many years/

I think their "glitches" are problems they are having (obviously) ...I have not gotten the email confirmation they promised that I'd have by yesterday, telling me the inquiry was set up, but I'll post any info I get, if and when I do get any. 

26 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

@comicwiz

Thanks, all in USD, always USD, haven't sent something in another currency in many years/

I think their "glitches" are problems they are having (obviously) ...I have not gotten the email confirmation they promised that I'd have by yesterday, telling me the inquiry was set up, but I'll post any info I get, if and when I do get any. 

Yes, and just to clarify, it's PayPal forcing the conversion even when people intend to send me money in USD.

That second window (see screenshot below) forces the conversion, and the only way to ensure it doesn't happen is to make sure they are both showing USD in that drop down below the amount.

One payment I returned where the conversion was forced got tangled-up in refund limbo for over a week, and the person even lost fees on that transaction (because now PayPal will not return fees on any refund), so I make a point of explaining this to senders every time now to avoid this massive hassle.

PayPal is playing these games because they make money on that conversion, and they will put the blame on the sender every time.

This might not be what's causing your issue, but just thought I'd mention it. Also, for some reason, sending through mobile doesn't show you this as clearly, even though the same effect occurs (this is what I understood when this happened to me from senders telling me what they saw).

Screenshot of what I mean is below and taken from my laptop screen:

USD-both2.jpg

Edited by comicwiz