• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DIY Pressing
3 3

55 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, shadroch said:

Does Joey do express pressing so that anyone can simply drive their on their vacation and get their books pressed?

I'm pretty sure his standard pressing process takes two weeks. As for a quick press option, that can probably be done same day but if I'm rearranging my life to create an entire vacation built around the specific desire to get my Action 1, sorry Hulk 181, pressed then I want the full service option. 

2 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I'm pretty sure his standard pressing process takes two weeks. As for a quick press option, that can probably be done same day but if I'm rearranging my life to create an entire vacation built around the specific desire to get my Action 1, sorry Hulk 181, pressed then I want the full service option. 

When you think about all the processes involved in getting your books graded, the pressing part is the one process you don't want to rushed. 

13 hours ago, greggy said:

Nerds

And I was going to take you for good pizza when you came back... smh 

Actually John's of Bleeker and also Johns of Times Square are very good. 

14 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I thought @PeteFromPetesBasement was a figment of Buzzetta's imagination, not a real person.  Kind of like one of kav's many imaginary friends that he tells stories of. 

:hi: Pete! 

Pete is a long time friend who I try to get on the boards more than he is.  The guy who we basically kidnapped to go to L&B ?  His brother lurks the boards.  He doesn't post though.

There are others. lol 

I recently ordered ten Paisano pizzas off of Goldbelly. It's a small chain in the Albany area that traces it's roots back to Brooklyn  ,where two of the brothers worked in different pizza parlors before going to school in Albany.  It's been several years sice I've been able to get real pizza so it was a little slice of heaven. They actually reminded me of the Ellos of my childhood, when they made round pizza before they convertedt to aquare pizza and got bought by some soul less corporation.

I started pressing in 2018 and there was not a lot of information out there.  Now there are all kinds of videos on YouTube.  It's not hard just take your time and start with low value books.   I would have spent a fortune on pressing with everything I need graded.  So like anything else I learned how to do it.  

I have pressed a hulk 181 and have a TMNT 1 in my press right now.  I can understand how people would be nervous given the value of books.  But once you gain confidence and get a system down the anxiety is replaced with excitement.

I sent quite a few books to @joeypost back in October based upon the recommendation on these boards.  I still haven't gotten the books back yet and Joe said he'd try to get them out last week.

I sent a couple of more follow up emails to which I haven't gotten a reply and now his website is down so I'm a little concerned.  Anyone know what's going on with over there?

7 hours ago, BrntWS6 said:

I started pressing in 2018 and there was not a lot of information out there.  Now there are all kinds of videos on YouTube.  It's not hard just take your time and start with low value books.   I would have spent a fortune on pressing with everything I need graded.  So like anything else I learned how to do it.  

I have pressed a hulk 181 and have a TMNT 1 in my press right now.  I can understand how people would be nervous given the value of books.  But once you gain confidence and get a system down the anxiety is replaced with excitement.

Could you provide a link to the best ie most trustworthy one(s) please?

I bought a press a couple of years ago for my personal collection. There is info all over the web about how to press comics, and some of it is just wrong, I read everything I could find about pressing and dry cleaning. You don't want to press a book with dust all over it. Absorene makes a putty and some erasers that work. You can find those on ebay, along with cheap presses from china starting at about $100. Research all you can and start with books that aren't anything special in your collection for practice. It makes you feel good when a cheap one turns out nice. work your way to the good stuff.

1 hour ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Since I look at comic stuff pressing videos show up in my you tube feed.  But I dont really watch them so I cant recommend any.  If your just starting out watch as many as you can.

I started by watching videos from the Smithsonian on how they press old / rare documents and went from there.  Then adjusted my time and press temp based on my own results.  But thay will vary depending on what press you have.  Three years ago there was not much info out there.

18 hours ago, Albert Thurgood said:

If you search "hulk 181 clean and press" or something like that on youtube.  His information looks pretty solid.  I use a humidity chamber more that he does, but he is located further South.  The air is less humid up here. 

Humidity chambers are cheap.  Just need a small plastic tote, 100% poplin polyester fabric, a way to suspend it and water.  I always press first to see what comes out, then humidify and press again if needed.

Edited by BrntWS6