• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introduction
2 2

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I didn’t see a “Introduce Yourself” section, so I figured I’d post it here.  From when I was a kid until I was about 17, I collected comics. Even when I was young, I always read them carefully, and then stowed them. I also had 4 sisters and I always used to ask their bfs if they had any comics or baseball cards they wanted to give me. To impress my sister, a lot of them did! Haha. I managed to acquire about 2,000 comics from the 40’s - 90s. 
  I recently looked at some of the prices, and I’m relatively shocked!  I have a lot of key issues like Avengers #57 and Iron Man #1 along with some good ones from the 80s like Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles1-10 (#1 is 3rd printing. I clearly remember #1 was quite difficult to find!) 

I had always saved them with the idea of handing them down to my kids, but they never got into comics. Now, as I am 54, I think it’s time to get rid of them, except for 3 comics I promised I’d never sell. (Fantastic Four #4 and some old Strange Tales before superheroes) I know to get a decent price for them, they need to be professionally graded so that’s what has brought me to this site.  If anyone has any advice on selling them, I’m all ears. (However I’m not interested in just unloading them, getting pennies on the dollar of value)
  Anyways, hope you are all off to a good weekend!

Welcome To The Boards!!!

To find FMV for your books check eBay Sold Auction prices for books in the same grade as yours, this is what folks are actually paying.

Try to look at sold auctions that had at least 5 bidders and be sure that there was not a bidding war that drove the price up, you will be able to get a good idea of FMV, obviously this is much easier for CGC graded books, for CGC graded books you can also check...

https://comics.gocollect.com/

As far as selling, I do not sell my books but a few choices would be...

https://www.mycomicshop.com/?gclid=CLS_6I_Q8cUCFYYUHwodbhUAag

https://www.comicconnect.com/

I am sure others with more selling experience will chime in, Good Luck.

Your comics do not have to be professionally graded in order to sell. Clear pictures will sell them. 

To save yourself a lot of trouble, check out if your books are eligible to be consigned by mycomicshop.  not all books are eligible, but for the books that are , it is by far the easiest way to sell them. You send them your list, you approve, you mail them to them and in a month or so, they list them both on their website and on ebay.  They grade them, they advertise them, they mail them out. All you do is cash checks.  They will walk you thru the entire process.

Meanwhile, post a few books in the Grading section here so you can begin to understand todays grading, which is far different from the old school way of grading. Dealers can no longer advertise their wares as being in the VG-VF range.

It's a really good time to sell. Prices are high and demand is strong.

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

Your comics do not have to be professionally graded in order to sell. Clear pictures will sell them. 

To save yourself a lot of trouble, check out if your books are eligible to be consigned by mycomicshop.  not all books are eligible, but for the books that are , it is by far the easiest way to sell them. You send them your list, you approve, you mail them to them and in a month or so, they list them both on their website and on ebay.  They grade them, they advertise them, they mail them out. All you do is cash checks.  They will walk you thru the entire process.

Meanwhile, post a few books in the Grading section here so you can begin to understand todays grading, which is far different from the old school way of grading. Dealers can no longer advertise their wares as being in the VG-VF range.

It's a really good time to sell. Prices are high and demand is strong.

Some great advice.

Welcome aboard!

I never thought about asking my sisters bf's if they had comics - smart man!! 

If you want to get an idea on your books grades, feel free to post them (a few at a time) over at:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

As shadroch mentioned, not everything needs to be slabbed to sell (particularly this past year!) and MyComicShop is a quality outlet. FF4 is a HOT book right now and that one may be worth the slabbing cost & time. 

Other than that, roam around the boards and make yourself at home!

Good Luck!

-bc

Great advice so far. 

2000 comics are allot to move, but if you are in no rush, you'll do well. 

As others suggested, MyComicShop is a great to unload bigger books (Avengers 57, IM 1) while avoiding the costs and time required to have them graded. 

They will grade them, take photos and you'll see a great return. Lower fees than ebay and they do all the hard work so your not chasing down non-payers. 

The bulk of the collection will be a little harder to move. The more work your willing to do, the greater the return. 

Easiest method, bring them to your local comic shop. They'll pay you pennies on the dollar, but you'll move them quick and easy. 

You could try putting lots on eBay. Break them up by runs and start with $0.99 opening bids. This invites The problems and fees of ebay, but your moving books. 

And the most possible work for the greatest return is selling them individually.  eBay is probably the easiest, but it's a lot of work.

1 hour ago, bc said:

Welcome aboard!

I never thought about asking my sisters bf's if they had comics - smart man!! 

If you want to get an idea on your books grades, feel free to post them (a few at a time) over at:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

As shadroch mentioned, not everything needs to be slabbed to sell (particularly this past year!) and MyComicShop is a quality outlet. FF4 is a HOT book right now and that one may be worth the slabbing cost & time. 

Other than that, roam around the boards and make yourself at home!

Good Luck!

-bc

Silly question. Which FF4?