• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qualified Grade?

28 posts in this topic

I wish for qualified grades they would be "Qualified : x.x ; Defect taken into consideration: x.x". It could give buyers more information.

Even better (and more honest) would be "4.0" in the big box, and then something like what PGX does where they say "Would be 9.0 if not for three-inch tear in back cover." At least this way, the notation makes the book sell at a premium to its given 4.0 grade, as opposed to a qualified 9.0, which would sell at a dramatic discount to the given 9.0 grade. The first way of doing things seems like a good way to give that extra bit of information to a consumer -- the second way seems like a weasely way to pretend like a huge defect doesn't exist.

I like that way even better.

Can somebody give me a good definition of the GLOD?

There isn't one.

A book is what a book is. If it has a coupon clipped, it needs to be taken into account when grading it. If it is a pristine book and has a 4' back cover rip, then it needs to be graded as such. I have never understood that rationale.

I am still thinking about how replaced staples should be noted 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

They should be noted as restoration.

The OCGG says "Mint books must have original staples. Any staple can be replaced (emphasis mine) on books up to Fine, but only vintage staples can be used on books from Very Fine to Near Mint"

It sounds to me like staple replacement is allowed (as unrestored) in a wide range

of grades....

There isn't one.

A book is what a book is. If it has a coupon clipped, it needs to be taken into account when grading it. If it is a pristine book and has a 4' back cover rip, then it needs to be graded as such. I have never understood that rationale.

I am still thinking about how replaced staples should be noted 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The OCGG says "Mint books must have original staples. Any staple can be replaced (emphasis mine) on books up to Fine, but only vintage staples can be used on books from Very Fine to Near Mint"

It sounds to me like staple replacement is allowed (as unrestored) in a wide range

of grades....

Usually CGC follows Overstreet standards, but I think this is something that they publicly state that they have a different stance than Overstreet.

Because the missing staple is a manufacturing defect.

So is a cover printed without a color.

This is a recent trend and a totally illogical one. CGC has stated that production flaws do not affect the grade, other than in ultra-high CGC 9.9-10/0 examples, but suddenly mis-printed cover colors get a GLOD?

There isn't one.

of grades....

I know that's what the Grading Guide says and it's a hunk of baloney. You'll never convince me that replacing staples isn't restoration, and there is no question in my mind that it should be noted on the label (which it is on green label slabs). The green label is used on those books as a compromise by CGC because of what the grading guide says and because dealers in the past have not considered it restoration -- but this was a compromise that never should have been made IMO. Buyers treat those books as slightly restored and the prices reflect that. It's a distinction without meaning at this point.

Because the missing staple is a manufacturing defect.

But, it says right on the label that it is a Manufacturing error, just like the Blue labeled missing staple! Do the graders have a guide book that they go by or do they just wing it on these things? confused-smiley-013.gif